APC Forum

3" shell

hashashan

Hi,

another 3"er

stars are C6 to red

burst is H3 on puffed rice, 2.5 grams Mg/KClO3 flash burst

the shell was pasted with 3 layers(the 3 strip method) of fiberglass reinforced gummed tape

http://www.apcforum.net/files/myshell.JPG

PS. the small one is the 3"er (duhh)

The break was unsymmetrical and from the look of it, it must be the pasting. The colorchanging was a bit off, but it gave a strobe-like effect.

The shell was nice though, and the red was excellent, which formula did you use?

3 strip pasting method is only usable for gummedpaper or pasting with kraft paper. A flash booster is also not nessesay when useing H3 as burst charge.

If you use fiberglasstape, than tape it in almost one piece.

The red looks great!

The red was as simple as it gets,

the Sr(NO3)2,PVC,Mg (binded with PVC+THF)

I have to disagree with you about he symetry of the break.

The stars were a bit different in size so It may look unsymetricl but as I rememeber it it looked pretty darn symmetrical to me.

now about the 3 strip method:

Wat method should I use?

Humm... I'm very interested in this composition, could you give us the exact amounts?please. Because I am having difficulty to find color composition with only PVC as chlorine donor.

Red star #9

Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Andrew Krywonizka. Composition from Lancaster[2].

Comments: Produce as a pressed star

Preparation:

Strontium nitrate.................................55

Magnesium.........................................28

PVC...............................................17

taken from wouters page

• 3 months later...

WOW,the red was awesome!!!

the best shell i have ever seen so far. 20/20

Really spectacular,congrulations.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably. You'll have to ajust the ratios in some amount to optimize color and burning caracteristics when using magnalium, since it reacts slightly different.

• 2 months later...
Well, it looks like he's not been back in a while. Maybe someone else can offer me help. The reason I asked this question above, is that if he did use H3 burst with chrysanthemum 6 stars, is there a certain way used to keep the chlorate from touching the stars? Simply enclose a tissue bowl well, or some other method? thanks for the help.

Yes, you can use a tissue burst bag for added safety. But a lot of folks don't worry about the minimal contact and don't bother using them.