APC Forum

Lookin for some Smoke Experience

NightHawkInLight

Well over this last week I've had a conversation with the head of a boot camp in my area and he is interested in some heavy smokes for drills. His thoughts were about a minute of burn, which I know is asking a lot for a heavy smoke. Because of price I'm looking for a nitrate based comp, probably a wax smoke.

I've only done a couple small experiments with wax smokes and have been very disappointed. My two troubles have been to slow and poor of a burn or a faster burn, but the smoke always tends to catch fire. Am I looking in the wrong place with wax? Should I just try for a caramelized sugar smoke?

Thoughts from the experienced appreciated.

are you.... experienced...? er, maybe wrong kind of smoke?

Have you been putting the comp in a tube with a choked hole? Smoke mix always burns with a flame if you don't choke it back enough, it seems. Same story if you choke it too much.

One of those formulas with asphaltum or whatever might be the way to go, though it's a black smoke.

Have you tried this one?

Potassium Nitrate 70

Sucrose 20

Flour 10

Sulfur 5

Run all ingredients a couple of times through a sieve. Don't press or ram, fill tubes with loose composition. Flour is regular wheat flour.

are you.... experienced...? er, maybe wrong kind of smoke?

Haha, yes...I believe you are thinking the wrong kind of smoke :rolleyes:

I have tried choking the smokes some, never cared about it long enough to get it right though. Just a way to pass a rainy day to me. The comp you gave is interesting. No pressing or ramming sounds strange to me. I'll give it a try, thanks.