APC Forum

Ball Mill Motor

JCrewPyros

Alright I am lining everything out to build a ball mill. I was wondering if I can get some information on motors.

I will be tumbling a Lortone Q12 tumbler barrel.

I have found a few motors on e-bay but I am not exactly sure what to get. I figure a 1/4 Hp motor with 1725 Rpm's is something about right. Like this one.

1/4 Hp Motor

Would that be something that I need or can someone give me some ideas on something I could use say from a mom and pop store that would be in a small town in the states.

Any information would be great.

That motor would be fine, I use a 1/3 hp with 1725 on my soon to come ball mill, except that it is ridiculously expensive. I bought my motor for 30~ with shipping. Also, some places have these hobby stores that sell mostly electrical stuff, I don't know much more about the, since I never saw one.

Also, I saw that avatar on ytmnd.

That motor should work ok.

or you could make friends with the person that works at/sneak into your local convenience site and get a washing machine for free, or failing that you could try a local junk/antique store if you have one, OR I could probably get you one from a junk store in my town for cheaper then ebay.

PM me if you're interested.

So can someone give me a picture of their tag on their motor so I have a visual reference to what I am looking for. That way I can ask around here in town at junkyards/repair shops.

You're looking for a 1/4-1/2 HP 1PH (1 phase) 115V(100-130V) 1725RPM motor, "CONT DUTY".

There's a picture of my motor, if you can't read that, it's:

HP: 1/3

Volts: 115

Amps: 5.9

RPM: 1725

PH: 1

Max Amb: 40 C

Thermally protected automatic

DUTY CONT

and some other crap i can't decode.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/wa...rent=badpic.jpg

The motor on e-bay is TENV (Totally Enclosed Non Ventilated) which means dust proof which would be fine. A step up would be TEFC which is "Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled" which is still dust proof but uses an external fan for air circulation if heat build up may be a problem. And then if your pocket book is really fat I suppose you could find an explosion proof motor. ;)

Thanks for the replys... I just called a place that sells em new... and uh no... 160bucks... I can buy a friggin ball mill for that... I got another guy looking for a used one...

My ball mill is powered by barn exhaust fan motor. The RPM is 1075 and the HP is only 1/10 or 1/15 I think. It can mill 1kg batches of BP wihout any trouble.

My only problem is that it needs external cooling. This is normally not a problem when used as a fan because it has airflow. I have a 120V computer type of fan that I blow on the motor for cooling. The mill has worked great for me for a few years now.

Alright... My leads are running low here peeps... I had someone try to sell me one for 70 Bucks... any ideas on something I can yank a motor out of that runs what was posted above?

It's a lazy day here, I took the honor of looking up "1725 rpm 1/3 hp" on eBay for you. It's looks older, but the seller says it works, why wouldn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERAL-ELECTRIC-1-3-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, here's another one that's new, but is more expensive than I would pay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRIC-FAN-MOTOR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Surplus center also sells pulleys and bearing blocks and things. A GREAT place to buy stuff.

What do you peeps think about this motor...

motor

Lemme know something quick if you can... I am ordering today...

How about a surplus-center GEARED motor, which then directly drives the power shaft of the mill? That would possibly save a lot of effort. You could very easily couple it on the cheap by using a short section of rubber tube, which you then hose clamp to the motor output and the ball-mill shaft. This would also take care of modest misalignments.

Well I ordered a motor... My fabricator roommate helped pick one out... I believe he can get this rolling... I also ordered a Lortine 12lb Tumbler barrel this morning along with $140 bucks of started chems from skylighter... running down our fireworks budget quick lol!