APC Forum

4017 decade counter

Arthur

I want to count to 16 in ttl ish logic!

I can count to 10 using a 4017 decade counter, can I cascade another 4017 to count to 20 or will it count the tens.

Does anyone have a favourite way of counting to 12+ as SIMPLY and accurately as possible.

Source will be a 555 timer or a press switch - single shot or chase.

Precision timing is unimportant say +/- 10% BUT there may be no misfires. It's for a pyro sequencer.

4514 will decode a 4 bit binary singnal to 1 of 16 outputs. You can feed it with a 4029 counter in binary mode.

Remember to debounce the manual switch.

With two 4017s you can count to 100. Just use one to count to ten and the other to switch the grounds after every ten pulses of the first one.

What I really want is to count to 20, so I want to count through the first 4017 then enable and count through the second 4017.

Use a T type flip-flop to toggle the clock signal back and forth between the clock inputs on the 4017s. Have the last output of each 4017 trigger the flip flop to toggle (use a small diode from each 4017 output or you'll trigger output 10 on the other one).

The output of the flip flop can go to the enable pin of the 4017s.

Are all of you over 50?

Use a 50-Cent microcontroller, and you can make it count to whatever you want, decode it and show it in Latin, Russian, Chinese and Greek letters on a LCD display.

All while it reads out the numbers aloud with a synthetic voice of course!

I know, I know, boomers right, I use PIC microcontrollers all the time.

The problem is, for a beginer at least, you need the device, a programmer, a development environment and you also need to learn to program it. Never mind the transistor drivers to provide enough current for an e-match.

None of this is a big deal, you can build a programmer and download an IDE. You can even get free samples of a lot of controllers from the manufacturer. But if you're still learning how to sequence two johnson counters this is probably a little beyond you yet.

I was looking for a simple chaser to incorporate into a pyro controller. I'm not confident that my PIC programming would be perfect nor dioI want to buy a programmer for the occasional PIC I may never use again.