APC Forum

Sparkler+sulphur+matches, need help

devilman

I got bored and was trying to make a smoke bomb out of these things. I got it to work and it did produces some smoke, it was dense enough but there wasent enough in quanty.

I put about half a box of matches with tips down, put a little sparkler dust and some sulphur in, then wraped it in alfoil, with a sparkler as a fuse. It produced dense smoke, and it pours out with good force, but only lasts a few seconds. I was wondering what i could do or add to get more smoke.

I dont have zinc or kno3, so i was wondering if there was anything else i could do to get more smoke. Its plently dense enough, and it hung quite low, just need more quanty.

Any help is appericated, cheers

Whats with all the k3wl threads lately?

I suggest you do some reading before randomly mixing things.

k3wl threads?

Ive done reading but i dont have the supplys i need atm, i was was seeing what i could make with what i had. And it works, i just need to produce more smoke. Sorry i asked

If you don't have the supplies to make what you want with predictable safe results don't go pulling things apart and hope for the best.

Until you have the proper supplies and tools I suggest you do some more reading. PM me and I'll help you out in that regard.

Until you have some years of experience, lots of practical skill, and lots of theoretical knowledge PLEASE restrict your activity to properly making published and recommended mixtures. Please also find a place to work where accidents can (they will) happen without endangering you, your home, or any other property.

Taking unspecified mixtures like "sparkler" or "matches" is asking for trouble as you could easily be inadvertently mixing phosphorus or sulphur with chlorate -- or other very dangerous mixtures.

If you search this whole forum you will find sources for everything that you want. --Chemicals, casings, fuse, formulae, practical guidance.

Count your fingers! Now keep it that way.

the sparklers and matches i use dont contain any chlorate ( i know the sulphur and chlorate is a no-no), and there was no risk of the mixture blowing up. i plan on keeping my fingers, thats why i only made a small ammount, used a fuse with a long delay, did it on a large slap of concrete and was well away.

Anything potentionally dangerious i do i take as many safty precautions i can

anywho, ill be contacting a hydophonics store on monday to see if they carry kno3. So no need to worry

Um the matches contain Chlorate which shows you still need to read more and research.

Edit: Beat me to it WarezWally :P

devilman, because you do something safely, then it doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

People who can't get the right things in pyrotechnics, should stay to theory and long away from modification of other things.

No matter where you are in the world, there's always a good chance of bying potassium nitrate if you look hard enough. And since you already have sulphur, and charcoal is easy to make, you are not a long way from making your first black powder.

Omg, kewl threads everywhere. But before we eat this guy alive, he has the proper interest, I just think he has been misled. To much youtube, not enough apc. If you are trying to make a smoke bomb, good for you, its a great place to start, and I'm sure most of our veterans started there. Try pyroguide.com search for smoke mix easy and safe. Until you know the power of what your dealing with, dry mix them, don't melt. As always, work outside, wear gloves, and wear goggles. And think before you just go mixing stuff together to see what will happen.

This is getting monotonous.

Devilman, the other members have chewed on you enough, all I'll say is: Don't mix things together when you don't know EXACTLY what's in them.

You have the procedures in place, it appears. Now get the safety to the same level. One necessary step, is what I just told you above.

Locked.