APC Forum

getting KNO3 in Australia

caleb

anyone know where to get it in aus. I heard of stump remover but if so how do i use this. Do i need to let the liquid evaporate or something.

Also.. is balsa wood ok instead of willow.

Go to your local fert supplier and pick up a bag, not restricted..yet :)

Balsa makes for fast (and fluffy) BP.

Kno3 fert is restricted in aus, you need a licence to get it because of all the anti-terrorism laws and what not. Ive been wanting to make smoke bombs but have faild to find any kno3 that isint restricted.

Its not restricted, trust me :)

You are thinking of ammonium nitrate.

They may have used that excuse because they didn't want to sell it to you so its probably best to have someone older buy it for you and if they ask questions get them to ramble on about needing the potassium and nitrogen for their hydroponic tomatoes :)

I thought potassium nitrate was restricted now? if i was mistaken my bad

If it hasent been thats a big bonus. Where would you obtain it in aus, not online either. Ive looked round chems, hardwhere, plant shops and havent been able to find squat. Do you get it in fert, stump remover, saltpeter?

if you could give us an idea where to look that would be tops.

Like I said, go to a farm supply or fertilizer supplier. They are the only ones who stock it. Use the yellow pages.

It will either be in 25kg, or 50kg bags, it will be either in fines or prills, doesn't really matter what one you get its all good.

I do have a local online source but its not exactly cheap (60c for 100g) and I don't really want to shout it to the heavens.

I am also having difficulty in obtaining KNO3 in Victoria. But of course I have obtained it but it seems the shop which I use to go to has closed down. Which is a bad thing considering I use to be good friends with the owner.

Tomorrow I am going to go up to a Hydroponic Store which should have it. Even though I am older than eighteen they seem to ask questions because I am still under thirty. It is best to get an older person to buy it and yes talk about their hydroponic tomatoes :P.

But I'll let you guys know if I find some KNO3 and I'll tell you the product name etc.

Hello fellow Australian!

Go to your local Hydroponic store, It will most likely be sold in a tub.

The tub will most likely say Nutrient "(Insert Letter)". This is because of anti-terriosim laws or some bullshit.

Just ask the guy running the store if you could purchase some Potassium Nitrate, he may refuse you sale if your not 18, so bring a parent/brother/cousin.

BTW I got mine from a hydroponic store, my mum came with me and when i asked for Potassium Nitrate he said i can sell u "Nutrient C" which is the same thing.

He even asked what i was using it for, i replyed saying smoke bombs, he didnt care, but thats because my mum was with me (Fireworks is a family friendly hobby).

I hope this kind of helped. Goodluck!

Much of my background is in machine shop work and metallurgy. Potassium nitrate is used extensively with metal for two things - it produces a coloration known as "nitre blue" - the pure salts are melted, and the degreased steel is immersed. Out comes a beautiful blue coloration. The other use is for tempering. The salts melt at a specific, known temp, and springs and other carbon steel items can be tempered this way after heat treatment.

So there are a couple of "excuses" for you, if you need them! ;)

Is that the same process as Bluing (for gunsmithing), or am I thinking of another chemical treatment?