APC Forum

A rather sickly dilemma

Apollofrost

One of my housemates who's been living with me for almost eight months claims to be an ex-marine captain who worked EOD in Afghanistan until he got a medical discharge. He's a great guy, moody sometimes, distant at others, but a solid guy.

Unfortunately I have cause to believe that he might not be who he says he is. For a number of reasons, the most recent being that he didn't recognize the EOD badge called "the crab." I've been lead to believe that this is something that everyone would recognize on sight, but he just gave some excuse about the badge being new, when it's been used since the 50's according to my research.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Badges/e...al%20badges.htm

There are some other things that make me doubt he is who he says he is, but those are too in depth to explain here. Is there any way to check to see if he really was a marine?

I don't want to doubt my friend, but I have to know.

I've not had to do it, so can't give you websites or leads or anything.

But I know those resources DO exist. Hopefully, someone who does know specifics can chime in.....

If he's not a Marine but pretending to be one, I know more than a few genuine Leathernecks who would.... take umbrage, perhaps? ;)

I'll probably swing by the recruiters office on Monday when I go car shopping. I'll ask them what they can do, most likely they'll be happy to help.

My one fear though is that if he isn't who he says he is, that I'm going to end up with cops at the house poking around guided by a pissed-off ex-housemate.

Ask him what a "blue devil" is. ( blue plastic clip used to splice detcord to multiple charges. )

I suppose it is slightly odd but if this guy isn't doing anything illegal or harmful why does it matter?

Ask him when the Marine Corps birthday is, EVERY Marine knows that date. You can phrase it in a way that covers yourself, tell him you were arguing with a buddy about what the oldest branch of service was. So you know November 10, 1775 Tun Tavern, PA. Or you could ask him about Chesty Puller, but as far as resources to check his information against you probably aren't going to find anything. His military ID number will be his social, but there is no public database to check it against. If you absolutely have to know, I'd start with those two questions, there isn't a Marine alive who doesn't know them.

There you go, Cplmac has a great test for a Marine. I was thinking it was the EOD part you were questioning. Cpl, what's another good one ? How about "what is the red stripe on the trousers of the dress blue uniform called and what does it represent" ?

1/ does it matter?

2/ is he the person he says- like name, parents etc

3/ is he an ex marine? some will write books on it some will clam up completely.

4/ does it matter?

"doing some classified research" is a euphemism for having no work but not saying OR designing the next megaweapon.

Several psople have left modern battles with physical or psychological injuries.

What will you do if he IS the ex-marine he says, or if he is not? seems as if fishing around could cost you flatmate income and some sleepless times lest he announces your stash.

Much thought and pragmatic deciding is called for. Maybe no action.

seems he knows enough to blow you out and you don't know about him.

There you go, Cplmac has a great test for a Marine. I was thinking it was the EOD part you were questioning. Cpl, what's another good one ? How about "what is the red stripe on the trousers of the dress blue uniform called and what does it represent" ?

The blood stripe is a good one too FT. You could ask what unit he served with, but Arthur has a point. It might not be worth digging to deep, especially if it's for nothing more than the sake of knowing.

Originally I was just going to let it slide. Let him pretend to be whoever he wants to be. However he might be entering into business with another housemate who is shall we say... gullible. I want to know if he can be trusted so that I can warn my friend to be careful if need be. I don't want my friend to get fucked over.

I think that he may have been a marine, just not EOD or a captain like he says. Some other things just don't click about his history, like he says he's irish with a dual citizenship but so far as I can tell all of his family is in North Carolina.

But the bottom line is that I want to protect my other friend.

If he seems hinky to YOU, ignore the naysayers and check him out. ;)

Protecting a friend is a valid reason, IMHO.