APC Forum

File Hosting Service

aa92td

Well Hello everybody.

that post is some idea to improve a little bit the forum File Hosting Service.

I just tought about it and want to know what you Members and Admins think.

I tought about give any member premission to go into the hosted file list and just be able to download any file he want from the list.

if i want to make the new APC forum movie its can help me (just example why should do it).

if i'm just board and need some inspiration it can help me.

and if i've upload some file and lost the URL i can get in and look for it.

Think about it , it can be helpfull and nice/

Sorry about my English.

cheers , AgwA.

As I recall it was specifically set up to that users couldn't do that so as to cut down on cost that the gracious administrators of this forum pay to keep it going.

Funny you should bring this up. Thesidewinder and I are in the process of revamping the service. Increasing filetype, # of uploads, and maximum filesize. We just got a big increase in the bandwith, so it's likely we'll allow browsing.

To be fair, Thesidewinder is doing most of the work on this. I am just testing things out as he goes. He knows a lot more about the coding behind the software than I do.

Hopefully this will be ready to go in a few weeks. I think we have got things more or less figured out, and are just playing around with various options and getting everything setup.

Thank you, my friend.

(Note to users: To be fair also, he's being humble. He ran this place just fine without my help, and for a long time, too. Yes, I'm more of a code geek than he is, but our respective skills complement one another quite well, I think, and serve the Forums' needs even better.)

So... yes, the filehosting service is being expanded to allow bigger files, more filetypes, and more files "per upload".

This will serve us well for a long time, if necessary, but the code is definitely showing its age.

Plans are also in the works for a considerably nicer alternative, but I'll say no more than that for now, as it would be premature.

To answer Agwa's question directly: The sheer NUMBER of files we have now, and their organization within the directory structure, makes browsing impossible for users at this time.

On anything less than high-speed Broadband you'd wait forever just to see the directory listing. And even WITH high-speed, you'll wonder if your browser has locked up. (And, if the alternative which I'm looking at works out, trust me, you'll love it.)

Further comments are welcome, but plase don't ask questions that start with, "When will it...", ok? ;)

Thanks, all.

M