APC Forum

40$ wireless igniter w/ 150ft range

Apollofrost

"A dud using fuse is a dud after an hour, no question. A "dud" using a wireless setup is a lot more unsafe..."

Unless you add a second timer that disables all firing after say 30 minutes, or modify the first to allow firing only from minute 2 to minute 31 after power-up. You can find a compromise between waiting time and the longest show you will ever fire (or just add a dip switch).

IMO this point is moot anyway, unless you want to test a new model of suitcase bomb for the IRA. ;)

A sensible receiver will have enough cable length going to the mortar rack to make it safe enough to approach, at least in case of emergency. If you hand fire the show, you will likely be closer. An expensive (or time consuming to make) remote, within inches of a 6" mortar w/ aerial salute inserted upside-down, is not going to serve you long. :P

Well, everyone thinks about what is closest to his personal interest right? I wasn't really thinking about using it for a pyrotechnic show, but that's another section of the board. :D

Anyway, to fire a show using the doorbell setup would take a shitload of doorbells wouldn't it?

Well, everyone thinks about what is closest to his personal interest right? I wasn't really thinking about using it for a pyrotechnic show, but that's another section of the board. :D

Anyway, to fire a show using the doorbell setup would take a shitload of doorbells wouldn't it?

Heh..and that first button press FINALE!

• 1 month later...
Additionally, the e-madeinCHN boards can be ordered with both latching and momentary outputs on the same board. For a dual layer of security, simply wire the circuit such that both a latching relay and a momentary relay have to be switched before initiation (i.e. one button press latches and "arms" the circuit, while a second button press switches the final current...the latch can be disengaged if necessary and "de-arm" the circuit).

I purchased one of the E Made in China firing systems. (big mistake) It fried right after putting the batteries in it. I have since ordered a 12 cue system that I should have 0 problems with. I will get pics up as soon as I get it in.

Woah!!! You should contact Stephen if that's really what happened. There's obviously something wrong with your board, or more likely, you wired it incorrectly. If the board is defective, Stephen will make it right. In the hundreds of boards that he's sold to Pyro U members and others, I've yet to hear of a failure like that.

Woah!!! You should contact Stephen if that's really what happened. There's obviously something wrong with your board, or more likely, you wired it incorrectly. If the board is defective, Stephen will make it right. In the hundreds of boards that he's sold to Pyro U members and others, I've yet to hear of a failure like that.

I talked with Stephen via Skype early one morning. He said that he would email me the return info and has yet to do so. I told him what specs I needed in a firing system, and he said it could be done, he just had to talk to his engineers to come up with a cost.

So, was the problem with the firing system they designed for you, or with one of the boards that he sells?

The problem was with the firing system. I would like to have seen the problem through with him, but I think that I am in better hands now. I will just chalk it up as a loss. Only $20.

Wait a minute. So the system that malfunctioned wasn't one of the e-madeinCHN boards, right? It was a cheap Chinese firing system?

• 2 years later...

Ahahaha, even considering using an expensive doorbell chime is just ridiculous considering the alternatives, though you all seem to have established that.

From experience, i know a thing or two about the 260-800mhz modules, but not much. i do know that $40, will get you a 16CH custom frequency (anywhere form 260-800mhz) with up to 5 spare remotes free, where i get my stuff, with a range of 150M-300M or more!

for an extra $9 you can get a second receiver transmiter pair plus a timing relay , one which can switch itself and your firing system off.

esentially, it will allow you control of your firing system for one minute from when you push the button, after that, the firing system is turned off.

BUT, this receiver is two channel, the other function, rather than go unused, can be made into a failsafe, in which, its own power supply, also the power supply for the firing system, can be shut off, making it impossible to be able to do anything by wireless transmission. this however would mean shutting itself off, and you cant just use its always ON state , but rather use a manual resetting switch, which once turned off, must physically be turned on by hand.

another alternative is to simply hold down a button and use one of the receivers unused channels, because they are incapable of acting upon any other transmissions while they are doing something because of a signal, which is supplying power to nothing, this will allow you to get away far enough to be at a safe distance for even if it went off by accident. its always advisable for those using homemade or cheap insecure remote firing systems, to be able to disengage the battery without the aid of a remote switch. i myself use a miniature novelty fishing rod with super thin line to pull the easily unbonded battery wire from the remote.

another precaution is to order a completely random frequency or buy a random frequency crystal, for your remote/receiver. 433mhz is too widely used, as is 315, why not go for something unique like 506 or 723. there are countless things you can do to ensure it only goes off when you say so.

When I have some extra cash to spend I'm probably gonna grab the $35 2-cue 500ft system that Pyrocreations.com sells.

Can't really do "shows" here, so I don't need more than 1-2 cues...

Making your own ghetto e-match with christmas igniters saves alot of money too, as long as you don't have to worry about them failing (hasn't happened to me yet).

If you want to just have the fun of firing something with a battery, a very long Cat5 cable does the job nicely. Those have 8 wires inside, so you can fire up to 4 devices successfully.

wrong, 8 wires = 7+ and 1 ground - , + can share a single -

wrong, 8 wires = 7+ and 1 ground - , + can share a single -

Oh i've never thought about doing that, good idea!

your welcome

• 4 weeks later...

I made my own firing system out of a $12 4 channel transmitter & receiver I bought from ebay. I completed it with stuff I had laying around (including relays and speaker connectors). Works great!

Me and my brother are using it for squib effects for movies. We basically assume that it could go off at random, so eye protection is worn before we even connect the batteries. My brother doesn't trust me to just wander off somewhere with the remote while he is wearing a blood squib. I can't imagine why...