APC Forum

Payload weights

psymon

Hiya, Can some of you guys tell me whats the most you managed to lift with a rocket engine?

I can only manage a payload of about 10g with my rocket engines. I am not sure how to increase the weight. If I make the core longer or fuel more powerful I get a cato... So I can only even manage a couple of small stars or just finish off the engine with some star composition...

First of all, what composition, and size of rocket are you making? One cannont help if you don't provide this info.

As far as weight, I have seen 6" shells going up before. Those are a few pounds.

Oh yes sorry, I should have added more info. Here we go...

The composition I always use is 61Kno3 34c (any carbon usually but now willow) and 5s.

The tubes I use are 22m diameter to a maximum length of 80mm. The Nozzle has a diameter of 5mm and core length is usually between 10mm and 20mm (any more than that and I get a cato).

I tried to lift a payload weight of 30g recently and the engine took off to around 20 feet then did an arc and hit the deck.

Oh yes sorry, I should have added more info. Here we go...

The composition I always use is 61Kno3 34c (any carbon usually but now willow) and 5s.

The tubes I use are 22m diameter to a maximum length of 80mm. The Nozzle has a diameter of 5mm and core length is usually between 10mm and 20mm (any more than that and I get a cato).

I tried to lift a payload weight of 30g recently and the engine took off to around 20 feet then did an arc and hit the deck.

Sounds like you have an end burning type rocket there.

Advice: Hotter fuel, standar 15:3:2 work excelent.

How thick are the tubes that you are using?

I have found that 1/4" thick tubes work fairly well for Black Powder based rocket propellants however anything less than 1/8" tubes will CATO with all but the weakest of propellant formulas.