APC Forum

Balsa Tree (any Trees)

mormanman

As most of you know I live in Texas and I just bought 50 Balsa Tree seeds and should I grow them in a big pot or should I just grow them outside?

Thanks guys.

... Maybe you should consult a forum devoted to trees? If not google...

I've been looking for a forum on trees, but I have been unsuccessfully. So far the royal empress tree seeds I have planted won't sprout... Tell me if you are successful where I have failed lol...

... Maybe you should consult a forum devoted to trees? If not google...

Checked google and not really anything and like Bpinthemorning said about the tree forums.

Thanks for the advise though.

Checked google and not really anything and like Bpinthemorning said about the tree forums.

Right... im sure you looked for a quite a while anyway this took me all of 30 seconds to find. Are you implying that Google just hates you or maybe I just have some mystic powers?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=of...rum&btnG=Search

In case navigating through the search engine is too difficult I will give you some advice: click the first hit.

*Point made and re-inforced, thank you crazyboy25.

Um I found tree forums, but none of them have developed sections on empress trees or balsa... Believe me I looked. It was my main project for about 2 weeks...

Just because they don't have "developed sections on balsa trees" doesn't mean they don't know anything about them. This forum doesn't have a developed forum in organic chemistry but im sure several members here know a good deal about it.

I think you would be better off planting paulownia - balsa is a jungle type of hardwood. Paulownia will also grow back when you cut it down, from the existing root systems. Let it grow for 5-6 years, cut it down, and in a year the new trunk will be huge again! It grows nearly as fast as balsa and does well in most soil types, including poor soil. It's higher density also means more charcoal.

The big kicker is that there is info on growing them. Balsa trees are mainly grown in countries that speak portuguese or spanish. The weather in Ecuador is vastly different from Texas, as are the growing conditions. You could probably get balsa to grow, but would it survive winter? How much would you need to water it, fertilize it, etc?

Ok, well I just bought some Paulownia too. I'll send alot to my grandma's house and she'll plant them on the 300 acres she has. It worth a try to see which one work better and which one actually work.

Paulownia is quicker and easier to grow, and many studies have it out preforming balsa by quite a margin.

Mind producing some of these studies for us then BPinthemorning? I for one would like to see them. If not, I'd appreciate it if you stopped spouting off unsubstantiated bullshit.

Danny Creagan's test don't have it out preforming it by a significant margin, neither does von Malitz' book, nor Shimizu.

Ash was really fast: .33 and .3 that is ridiculous. Paulownia was fast and so was Balsa. I'll mix them all. That is off topic though.

I'll grow both everyone calm down. If people want some after they are done grow I'll sell them just give me a decent price and I'll post them in The Agora as a "Is in the process of growing" or "Will be here eventually."

Oh yeah, BTW guys up on the top of the section (not trying to be rude or anything) I did eventually find something on google but it was nothing on how to grow it.