APC Forum

Making a gas burner for a furnace.

h0lx

I was quite confused, where to put this, so I assumed I can safely place it here.

Once our pulsejet project is done, I am gonna have alot of spare propane. I was thinking of building a furnace for magnalium, etc. Does anyone have tips on constructing the burner(bunsen style, no extra oxidiser). The burner itself is not going to be too big, my regulator allows maximum 12kg/hour flow and I want to melt small amounts(maximum a kg of metal). The furnace will be constructed probably from fireplace mortar mixed with sand and possibly fibo light filler to creatr better heat insulation.

Unfourtunatly I don't have time to take pics of the burner I built and upload them right now... but I should be able to help you with design a bit... as well as pictures later... like later tonight if I can remember... IDK...

I tried something I think that what you are talking about. I took a #10 can and drilled a 1/2" hole in the side for my propane torch to go into and drilled about nine 1/8" holes in the top for the gas to come out and put duct tape on the bottom and around the 1/2" hole to seal it off. I put a white gas burner stove top to make space for the air to react with the propane and to burn. I was making charcoal bytheway. It worked fine the first time I lit it but the next day the bottom blew out and shot to the roof of my patio. Pretty scary and cool at the sametime, I ditched that method pretty quickly the next day I went to a sporting goods store and bought a stove.

I hope that helps tell you what not to do.

Good luck.

Ok... well... got pics and 2 vids uploaded to the comp... but too big to host here... and a pain... so ill winrar them and email them to you.

You want me to send them to your msn email?

Or you could just send them to me. I am more than willing to host them here. I am still working on expanding the filehost, but am quite computer illiterate.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/kiln%20furnac...ne%20burner.rar

I don't think the owner approves... but there we go.

First vid is without a flare on the end of the burner... You don't need one if the end is inside a furnace or whatever enclosed space your using as i understand it... The second video is with a crude slapped on aluminum foil flare... note the flame is more like a jet flame...

The last pic in the series is a smaller burner body and a flare made from an aluminum can... The jet was much more focused with the smaller body and I could easily get really long flames since your mixing the propane and burning it in a smaller area. I don't have a video of this however. I might have to revert to it or adjust the bigger one for better performance before I fire cure my refractory cement.

Questions?

• 2 weeks later...

the construction seems much less dimension dependent, than I originally thought, while one of my friends was welding our pulsejet, me and my other friend were playing with propane and improvised a simple burner. I was suprised, how well it worked. Didn't get the blue flame though, but that was hot as hell.

EDIT: forgot vid: http://www.universal-mind.net/t6nu/bucket_of_death.mp4