APC Forum

what am i doing wrong

ST1DinOH

Using gummed paper tape, I am inclined to use the three strip method and have the strips as long as the shell diameter and as wide as diameter / 10 These strips lie nicely and cover for the curvature of the shell surface without going crinkly! One ring of masking tape round the closing joint then cover theis with diagonal strips one way, than the other diagonal. After that the shell is secure and the correct number of wraps for the break need to be put on by the three strip method.

Shells go crinkly if the strips are too wide or too stiff. If the wrapping paper is very soft you get away with bigger pieces. You may find that a different colour of kraft helps for one layer to show the bits you missed.

Don't forget that stiff, thick paper can be made soft and cloth-like by letting the paste soak right in.

any suggestions or a list of everythingi screwed up would be wonderfull...

i just built a few shells last night but i'm dreading another messy stressfull pasting venture

I would recommend using a thinner paper, wetting it more and rolling the shell between two hard surfaces (a tabletop and a piece of wood with a handle is fine) after every layer.

Pasting is supposed to be messy, kinda like sex. :D

hey guys, figured i'd ask cause i know i'm doing it wrong.

A 1/2 inch is not that big of a deal, use a lift-cup and some wadding on top of the shell and there shouldn't be a problem.

:lol: :D

I love that line!

He, he, first thing that came to my mind, I've put it in my sig. :D

And on the subject of coming and pasting, home-made wheat-paste smells a bit like cum if you ask me.

Anyway, it is a good idea to have a regular pasteathon once in a while, saves a lot of cleaning up.

Edited by andyboy