APC Forum

Presses/dies

mormanman

Don't flame me I look and I saw tool ideas and that was the closest thing to Presses and dies so I thought what the heck.

So I opened it in the Random thread b/c it isn't just used for pyrotechnics and rocketry. Well onward with the discussion.

Ok, so I have a 2 ton hyro jack and just need some bolts and nuts to make it really work but I've been wondering what I should use for the platforms. Can I use wood, if so how thick? I did try like 1/16" steel and it bent.

I guarantee you that there are better suited threads already open.

I probably wouldn't use wood. It will dent and bend/break eventually.

Try using some real solid steel. I'm talking 1/2" and thicker. 1/16th sure as hell wont work.

I probably wouldn't use wood. It will dent and bend/break eventually.

Try using some real solid steel. I'm talking 1/2" and thicker. 1/16th sure as hell wont work.

I'll have to look really hard for 1/2" steel b/c they don't sell it at your local hardware store :D .

I probably wouldn't use wood.  It will dent and bend/break eventually.

Try using some real solid steel.  I'm talking 1/2" and thicker.  1/16th sure as hell wont work.

I'll have to look really hard for 1/2" steel b/c they don't sell it at your local hardware store :D .

If you can't find any steel heavy enough at hardware store try a local scrap yard or machine shop. If neither is an option, you may want to look into using steel channel or steel square tubing,preferably heavy wall.

I have a friend that work at a machine shop and one that works at a missle plant and I'm asking both of them to get ti to me for free.

Edit+++++++++++++++++

I made a 4 ton press out of some bolts and nuts and some MDF board. It works pretty good too. But where am I suppose to fine a die. I saw the comet press one but I don't know what that big white thing is. I still need to bolt the jack down though.

I got this http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/ts12.jpg press for my birthday. There is a piston right in the middle of the press though. Should this be a problem?

No, it should work fine, and even better if you are pressing longer items.Just make sure the piston is centred on whatever you are pressing (your BP die or comet piston).

Cool. Thanks. But wouldn't 12 tons of force concentrated on one spot shatter the resin piston?

Hmmm...maybe. I use a solid UHMW (polyethylene) piston. You may have to put a disk the size of your piston in between to even out the force.