APC Forum

cyrkoblitz by Achtung

Achtung

Is there a particular reason that you split the video in to many parts, or used such a long dowel to confine the powder? :blink:

Anyways, the stingers rocked. I liked the stingers with a bluish/white-burning fuel, what did you use there?

i used that long rammer cause i have only this one :P when i recording that video i working and filming, so anytime i have to use both hands to work, so i must turn of camera a few times. this is WHITE fuel, not blue! it looks like blue, its because camera. this is magnesium 0,017mm and potassium nitrate. 1:1 of course by ?weight? ball milled few hours.

both chemicals are milled. this composition is not sensitive to mechanical action.
How do you know that? just because you got lucky one time does not mean you will the next, drilling into comps with metal in them (especially at that speed) is also dangerous, perhaps use a black powder based comp next time, it would be much safer :blink: .

you need to calm down is there anyplace in my post where i call you an idiot? all i was saying was that it is potentially unsafe and generally a bad idea to ball mill ANYTHING except black powder that contains both a fuel and an oxidizer. magnesium is a reactive metal as is and ball milling it with an oxidizer isnt going to lessen the risk of potential ignition.

you think i'm idiot? its 0,017mm Mg this is big grain magnessium. its not very reactive. go to reading, or tests, later critique.

You *ARE* an idiot. Magnesium is an extremely strong reducer, and needs to be treated with the utmost respect. Mixtures of magnesium with things you wouldn't normally think of as oxidizers...such as finely ground glass..have been known to ignite with impact energy. My guess is the only reason you haven't had your fuel ignite prematurely is that you're using a rock tumbler, not a ball mill.

sorry guys, this is 0,17mm in my country this is very popular grain. smaller grains of pure Mg is hard to buy, is very high price. i can't see what is diffrent in ball mill and rock tumbler. i have tested friction ignition ability and i can't ignite this mixture with a 10kg hammer, maybe i have lucky, but in pyro books i have read, its safe. this was 0,17mm magnesium, luuk in pyro shop in Poland, there is not 0,017mm Mg, only 0,17mm

you think i'm idiot?
No, however, mg powder, even at that mesh, is very reactive, and even with a relatively weak oxidizer like Potassium Nitrate reactions can be quite violent, and mechanical actions like ball milling and drilling into it COULD result in disaster, it might not, but if it does...

Achtung,

Please remember that pyrotechnics is a hobby that usually allows you to make only *ONE* error.

I personally know of only ONE hobbyist who survived that first error.

But I also knew one, and have read of far too many others, whose *first* mistake, was their *last* mistake.

Don't ballmill any composition except black powder. And even then, place it in a bunker of some sort, or in an open area with a LOT of space between the mill and anything that could be damaged.

We don't want to see you become a statistic.

agreed.

sorry if you are put off because some members were a little harsh but you accused people of being stupid and defended your stupid error. people here just dont want you to get hurt. what im trying to say is i hope you will return to this forum the people here weren't trying to be mean they are trying to keep you safe and accusing people of things is counterproductive.