APC Forum

Built a new blast shield

cplmac

Nice job! that press looks just like one they sell up here in canada at princess auto - is that the one you do the 3" rockets on? If so, I'm stoked cause they're only $350.

Only concern is, if that is actually acrylic, and not lexan (polycarbonate), and acrylic is quite brittle compared to lexan. If you put a sheet of lexan behind the acrylic it should stop it from shattering if a rocket goes.

Unfortunately it is acrylic, I plan on upgrading to Lexan this winter. I figure half inch of even acrylic should be enough for the smaller rockets probably up to the six pounders. I still have to finish mounting it to the press and paint it. The shield window slides straight up in the frame to give access to the workspace. This is the same press I use for the three inch rockets, and that price is similar to what I paid for it. I have a nice 7 horse 240 volt 80 gallon compressor to keep it running smooth though. If you go that route with that press make sure you get a beefy compressor, even with the monster compressor in my shop it cycles about every 1-2 increments depending on the fuel.

Unfortunately it is acrylic, I plan on upgrading to Lexan this winter. I figure half inch of even acrylic should be enough for the smaller rockets probably up to the six pounders. I still have to finish mounting it to the press and paint it. The shield window slides straight up in the frame to give access to the workspace. This is the same press I use for the three inch rockets, and that price is similar to what I paid for it. I have a nice 7 horse 240 volt 80 gallon compressor to keep it running smooth though. If you go that route with that press make sure you get a beefy compressor, even with the monster compressor in my shop it cycles about every 1-2 increments depending on the fuel.

It sounds like your getting rid of the one you have now. If so can I buy it?

I still wouldn't trust the acrylic... thought it would be more unsightly... you could re-inforce the acrylic with a strong wire mesh backing. The name im thinking of eludes me... but the wires are thicker than chicken wire and the sample i have has them creating a horizontal/verticle grid of squares of around 1/2"L x 1/2"H.

I've got a fellow rocket buddy in the area who already has dibs morm, sorry. This isn't straight acryllic, both sheets have a shatter resistant laminate on them.