APC Forum

kclo3 and Al

weknowpyro

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems when mixing these to chemicals together when they have tried to set it off? Either in a star compostion or as a powder? Please suggest ways of getting it set off easier.

Thanks

Ignitability depends entirely on the composition and type of Al. Please be a bit more specific what comp you are trying to make.

Well i am using 250 mesh AL powder and the ratio is 3 parts kclo3 and 2 Al.

I'm mostly emxperimenting and was just inquiring.

KClO3 and Al? That sounds like flash powder and you said something like a star but I don't know of any star comps. that only use KClO3 and Al.. I think that Al needs to be finer >325 mesh. Another thing you can possibly do is add sulfur but that'll make the composition very dangerous and very sensitive. As Chlorates and Sulfur don't mix. Personaly for flash try potassium perchlorate-70

Aluminum (>425 mesh)-30.

If you're serious about using that as a star comp. look Here for alot of star comps. and you'll probably find the one you're looking for. A star comp. 3:2 like you stated will probably burn way to fast.

Cheers, I wasn't really look for a comp just trying to find out new star mixes but thanks for helping.