APC Forum

Storing NI3 in a safe way?

Diablo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
i have wanted to make nitrogen triiodide for a while now but my dad won't let me. not because it is sensitive or explosive but because of the iodine vapor. how dangerous is the vapor and if it is highly dangerous what safety percautions would be nessacsry for the vapor alone? i have some N95 rated masks would these be proper protection from iodine vapor if say 5-8 grams were detonated with a 5-6 foot stick?

Why not use a match head or something for friction sensitive ignitors.. There should be a tutorial on this crap :rolleyes: Either that KClO3/glycine/S/Sb2S3

I'm not really sure what you're getting at DeadFX. He mentioned nothing about ignitors. NI3 doesn't produce any flame, nor much of a shockwave for other means of ignition.

Anyway, the respirator you have will be fine. I'd suggest against doing this indoors. The I2 has a lot of staining potential. I'd suggest starting with less than 5-8g. If by some miracle you could get clse enough to set it off with a 5 foot stick without it going off on it's own, it is going to make one hell of an iodine cloud.

In general, discussion of HE type things are prohibited outside of the HE section, but I'd rather see you stay safe, and this is more of a chemistry related safety thing.