APC Forum

5" Beraq shell

karlfoxman

The shell casing is from Plasticos gamon, main time fuse is 10mm Martin & Martins fuse, the beraq are hand rolled and each contain about 5g flash. The break charge is home made Alder powder on crispies. The lift was about 45g home made willow lift. I wanted 3 rings of beraq but the timing for these were wayyy too close. I have a new one made using some details I have gathered from my recent vist to Malta.

INSIDE THE SHELL

Prefire picture

Video (YOUTUBE)

Nice shell!

Getting the beraq to explode at the exact same time is the Holy Grail of beraq-shell builders. You made a good start. Keep at it!

M

Nice to see you here on APC Karl! Great beraq shell, as usual. The beraq timing can be a bitch, as I have noticed. Have you been this year to Malta? If so, any new pictures to share?

Yeah its very hard to make them perfect, im now very very close to getting them spot on. I had my friend Samuel come to my hotel room with beraq and shells! We made a few, they all had chlorate flash in them! We rolled them, filled them, spiked them then made a the delays. I have about 8 versions to try all with slight different timing. The beraq delay is made by using different gsm paper and various percentages of gum arabic in the delay. Cheers for your comments, I was in Malta for the feast of San Guzepp and it was really good. I have a few vids of the shells going off one by one. Ill upload them and post on here, some very nice shells. I even got to fire a fair few 6" beraq shells. We would grab a shell lower it into the steel tube and pull the safety paper cap off to expose about 5 inches of black match. The light with cigarette and run 5 meters behind a big wall. The shells were 6" by about 4 feet long and all beraq to bottom shot, great sounds and the thump on lift was very similar to my 6" 2 break - bottom shot. Sheer power!

One note this shell did not use the Maltese method of lift as it was only a small shell.

Very nice shell there you have there karl, keep up the good work ^_^

Karl, thats an outstanding shell. Very nicely crafted beraq as always. Excellent pictures, and nice video!

I would like to know, why are you firing in the daylight? Is that a traditional way, just your preference or what?

I hope to see more of you here! I would, and I am sure everyone else could learn a thing or two from your posts.

I am just now beginning construction on a 6" beraq shell myself.

Cheers for your replies guys, Al: I fired daylight beacuse its easier to trace the smoke from the beraq and work out how far they travel and if there are problems. In Malta they fire some during the day, before the feast.

My beraq are now much more improved and work very well, im planning on adding some to a very special shell a 6" multi colour pistil with beraq.

Would love to see some pictures of your beraq, are you making the delays like I do or are you using some kind of fuse?

Karl,

Glad to see you here. I've been a fan and read your posts and construction tips over at UKPyr. Can't wait to see more of your hard work!

Very great looking shell karl! I don't really know a lot about beraqs, maybe one of you could inform me a little bit. I am judging from the pics and vid and from google that a beraq is simply a spiked insert salute that uses a delay paste for timing instead of fuse. Is there any advantage to "fusing" it this way instead of using a fuse, or is it simply the challenge of doing it? Its a great effect, nice job.

Well Karl,

I have done lots of testing using the method of ignition you use. I really need to do some more tests. I have been using fuses, but I think I will revisit the timing method you employ.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

ULTRABUF: You are correct, the beraq are rolled inserts made from chip board liner and wraps of kraft. The delay is a mixture of BP and gum arabic, the ratio is changed to give different timings.

AL: I will give you one delay formula via PM.

I will post more of these shells when I fire them, on youtube of course!

qwezxc12: Glad you like some of my work, as far as I know nobody in UK makes beraq. Maybe my posts will change this :lol:

Ha ha, well next time I think I will tell Samuel we need to go to the factory to make them. Not the hotel. Was very dangerous opperation to undertake in a hotel.

I will be back in Malta next year, hopefully for the feast and the Festival of fireworks 2008!!!

• 3 years later...
hi karl do yuo like beraq hehe i so the video its not bad good luck mate

hi karl do yuo like beraq hehe i so the video its not bad good luck mate

Gordems, that was posted 4 years ago, I have not ever seen him post here in the past few years.

-dag

Hehe, I know dems! Nice to see you on here mr Ghostshell!