APC Forum

Alkali Metal Production

Swany

i will try your procedures at school. i hope it will work :D maybe, only if you want i can film it and post the video. will try Na, maybe Li and K.

pleas correct me if i am wrong. xylene is used to hold the water from the Na???

LP

i dont know how to make sodium,i jsut know to make sodium with the melting methods and electrolyte method,but sodium need a lot of temperature like a fireplace,but i will have lot of fun in the first time i try to make sodium,i put de salt on a aluminium plate and i bake in the oven and after i add water on the salt,and i dont know what happen but my salt begin to explode !

Not happening. Sodium Chloride melts higher than aluminum. Sodium Hydroxide will attack Aluminum. I also suggest not doing this in an oven used for food, much less indoors.

Any other bright ideas? Please do A LOT of research before attempting anything.

:D I have a rechargeable 12 volt power supply.(car jumper)I haven't yet attempted to make sodium because I thought the NaOH would be too hard to melt. I guess the stove can handle it...now i need to find a ceramic dish.

i dont know how to make sodium,i jsut know to make sodium with the melting methods and electrolyte method,but sodium need a lot of temperature like a fireplace,but i will have lot of fun in the first time i try to make sodium,i put de salt on a aluminium plate and i bake in the oven and after i add water on the salt,and i dont know what happen but my salt begin to explode !

Why did you you do that? Of course it explodes, NaOH reacts with Al to make hydrogen, which, in an oven at 320 degrees (celcius)..... which is when NaOH melts. I highly suggest doing research as it could have been much worse!

pa_pyro. I used a mini ceramic dish like you want to use, look on eBay or chemical equipment suppliers, they aren't expensive. Also what I found was it must be very clean! You don't want KNO3 in your NaOH (obviously) And keep the anode and cathode away from each other as much as possible, as oxygen is produced at one of them (I can't remember which one), not good for sodium ;)!

update: Don't use a 12v DC 350mA converter from the wall, it's crap, the more amps the better. I am running 12v DC at 80 amps right now and have visible build up within 4 minutes. I am contemplating upping the amps to 225 amps but i think that will fry my wires. My power source is a 12v car battery charger/jumper unit.

Oh, and it is definitely Na: White/silvery metal, sparks upon contact with O2, very soft.

1. what should i use? NaOH or NaCl

what if I use for anode Ti and for cathode graphite or should i use for both graphite?

as far as i know is voltage dependent on electric current, If i can trust

this formula is it so: if the voltagi is biger then must be the eletrict current alo biiger. ????????? that was only my thinking, . i do not will be suprised if you dont understand me. :D

Use NaOH if you have a good container, or NaCl if you have a very high heat sorce. Both grapthite will work fine, the melt would prapably hurt the Ti. The voltage is not dependant on the amperage, which is the amount of current I believe.

You cant control the current, you can control the voltage and the distance between the electrodes(the resistance) .

also you can decrease the resistance by increasing the size of the eltrodes

the aperage is calculated from ameres law

V = RI ===> I = V/R

therefore if you increase the voltage you will increase the current but also the temperature that is given by : R*I^2 = V*I

1. what should i use? NaOH or NaCl

what if I use for anode Ti and for cathode graphite or should i use for both graphite?

as far as i know is voltage dependent on electric current, If i can trust

this formula is it so: if the voltagi is biger then must be the eletrict current alo biiger. ????????? that was only my thinking, . i do not will be suprised if you dont understand me. :D

If you can get 600 degrees C then use NaCl, add CaCl2 to the NaCl and it will melt then. You can get rid of the calcium because it is heavier. And use graphite for both as it reacts little with chlorine and Na, it will react a bit though.

should i make the electrolysis in a "digestorij" ( PGF can you translate "digistorij" plz?) or utside. can i melt the NaCl without CaCl2 in a eletric stove ( to 1100 C ) so i can melt it easy to 800 C and then i heat it with a burner. ??? thanks for your answers :D

LP

I would do it outside myself, and if you have a stove that goes to 1100 C then don't add CaCl2 unless you want calcium aswell.

I wouldn't worry about the chlorine too much, unless you are doing it at the dinner table or something :D. Of course stay upwind and keep it quite far away from your house. If a fume hood is easily availible and you can put the stove and and electrical stuff in it then I don't see why not.

• 3 months later...

Do you anyone know how much lithium is in alkaline batteries, i mean that big 1,5 volts batteries. I think if there are much that i could make pink/red colored flames and lithium's reaction with water.

But badly i think there are too little this and all this are very difficult seperate at home another battery's chemicals as MnO, C , etc...

LOL! It's not elemental lithium its lithium-ion.

And just to make everything clear, there is no elemental fluor in toothpaste :lol:

Hey! I am not stupid. Toothpaste's fluor is NaF (sodiumfluoride) it is sodium's and fluor's salt. I am always thought that battery's have elemental lithium. But thank's for you this information.

What lithium compound is in battery's, lithium hydroxide or what?

I'm sorry, my english is bad...

:D

There are some lithium based batteries that do contain pure lithium strips. I don't know if they are on the market anymore. The lithium was being extracted, dissolved in liquid ammonia, and used for some psychoactive synthesis. Meth perhaps. Lithium-ion is different than straight lithium batteries.

Instead I suggest looking into ceramic suppliers. They sell lithium carbonate for very cheap prices. A few bucks a pound. If you're having a manic episode, it also will help to calm you down. I highly doubt it is USP grade, so don't actually eat any.

On the medicinal props... you can use it as a medice, but it requires alot of monitering to make sure you don't OD or something. Read the wiki entry on it.

Lithium 3V batterys have lithium metal and are one time use, but the lithium is still good when the battery is dead AFAIK. Lithium-ion have a lithium salt and are rechargable... There are a few differnt lithium metal from battery dissection walkthroughs on the net if your interested.