APC Forum

Wheat paste

pudidotdk

I used to use thinned PVA, but after using good wheat paste I would never go back. It cleans up so much easier, feels better on your skin, and I love how virgin kraft breaks with it, as Mumbles mentioned. It dries "crispy" almost, makes the shell seem almost fiberglass coated.

I wonder if a small percentage of isopropyl alchohol might help in the preservation of the paste for storage purposes?

Did anybody tried with dextrin?

I think glue that made from dextrin and a little of water is stronger, faster to make and it doesn`t start smelling bad after some time.

Anyway, I tried using water glass solution and paper from notebooks for pasting a canister shell and reinforcing paper tube. Both of them are rock hard and have beautiful shine. I hope they`ll work good too..

Doesn't work, It gets too sticky and it really gets messy.

Did anybody tried with dextrin?

I think glue that made from dextrin and a little of water is stronger, faster to make and it doesn`t start smelling bad after some time.

Anyway, I tried using water glass solution and paper from notebooks for pasting a canister shell and reinforcing paper tube. Both of them are rock hard and have beautiful shine. I hope they`ll work good too..

Well generally Dextrine glue is not used for pasting-in shells but rather for tube rolling, and even that is pretty rare as far as i'm concerned, mostly because there are stronger, less hygroscopic glues available on the market such as PVAc glue, synthetic glues also have better adhesion properties compared to for example dextrine glue. Though white dextrin is really sticky, the yellow, home made variety is shit for rolling tubes as it doesn't prevent the paper from unrolling, especially when using heavier weights.

Also, in regards to shell pasting with dextrine glue, wheat paste is supperior in this that it shrinks and grips the shell tightly, dextrine does not have this propery as far as i'm concerned, i have noticed minimal shinkage when i was using dextrine for tube rolling, while with wheat paste, the tube was impossible to remove from the former.

But anyway, use what you think works best for you.

I wonder if a small percentage of isopropyl alchohol might help in the preservation of the paste for storage purposes?

Add about 10 grams of sodium salicylate or sodium benzoate per quart of paste and it won't sour on you, and will keep sealed in the refrigerator for at least a month.

I don't bother though, and try to use as much as I mix up in 1 or 2 days.