4885 replies to this topic

#4881 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Merry Christmas to All.

I hope to make more progress in the coming year (with my electrochemistry experiments), but I have a lot of other things going on at the same time, so we'll see...

I'll post my progress here (APC) as things move forward.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 24 December 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#4882 memo

memo

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:gold mining, now fireworking

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:12 AM

hope all had a great holiday :D

#4883 PTFE

PTFE

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Elektrochemistry, high voltage stuff

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:35 AM

Hey guys.

A late, but happy new near to all of you. :)

I'm reading again through this thread and I'm at page 104 now.

Since some of you, especially WSM mentioned to use IWAKI Pumps taken from the photo-industry some questions came in mind.

The IWAKI MD-10 Is made out of Polypropylene and im courious how long it will last if used to pump ~80°C hot Electrolyte.

Does someone had failures due to corrosion when using this kind of pump?

Greetings,

PTFE

PS: what has happened to this thread? No replies anymore. :mellow:

I have moved 2 times in the past months and have to build up my workshop again. so it will take roughly until the end of the year until my next cell is going to be set up.

#4884 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

The original mention of Iwaki bellows pumps was mine! I worked in photo processing for some years. We never had bellows or valves fail in service unless they were accidentally physically damaged (poked prodded etc). My original suggestion was that they be considered for periodic acid addition in a pH controlled cell. Make a pump run for 1 - 100 seconds in every hour, Or Make a pump run for every so many amphours. Iwaki bellows pumps have selectable bellows diameters AND can be powered from on cycle to 100% duty cycle making the volume flow controllable over a wide range.

The bellows pumps are NOT suitable for circulation, except in trivially small containers. With a cell of moderate volume and sufficient current, the natural hydrogen lift causes sufficient agitation for all purposes. If you need to pump cell liquor then several pumps are available, Magnetically coupled pumps usually are resistant to many solutions, but don't always have a long life. But you should consider the time taken to make your annual usage quantity.   

#4885 PTFE

PTFE

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Elektrochemistry, high voltage stuff

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

Mh, thank you for your advice. Can you or anyone else too help me with a suitable pump for the use as circulating pump.
Previous I showed my self built 300A Psu and got another two of the 5V/150A Smps.

All combined i have the ability to use 5V/600A smooth DC current and to use it i have to apply an active cooling system. The easiest way will be to pump the electrolyte out of the cell instead of pumping cooling water inside.

To archive high power cooling, i would have to use a large cell to provide a large cooling spiral but instead a small cell could be used and a big cooling tank will be more suitable.

#4886 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

I'd always consider standing the cell in a large tank of water and keeping that outer tank moving to cool the cell. Pumping water is so much easier than pumping electrolyte.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users