APC Forum

store under oil

charles821

I am due to have somee sodium and lithium arrive soon and am going through the storage safety. The company this is delivering it has stored it under a argon gas enviroment and not under oil and they suggest that upon arrival i transfer it to a pot containing oil. I have heard petrol is good for this but what do you reccomend?

all comments welcome

Kerosene. ie the stuff for tiki torches and lamps.

I thought that in the UK, "paraffin" is the term they use for what we in the USA call "White Gas" (Coleman camping stove fuel).

I do know that "White Gas" is NOT kerosene, but...... ??

M

can other normal oils be used like vegetable oil because parrafin is flammable so if that catches so will the lithium. and that will be a bit of a problem :P

I think you'll find that all oils are flammable, actually.. although silicone oils much less so. I don't know if silicone oil would be compatible with alkali metals.

If you're in a situation where the lamp oil gets hot enough to ignite, you are a) pretty much screwed and B) hopefully already evacuated!!

have also found out that ordinary parrafin is not enough. you need parrafin oil which can be quite hard to come by here unless buying in large quantitys. can normal parrafin be used?