APC Forum

Strontium Nitrate

psyco_1322

Is it possible to extract the strntium nitrate out of flares? If so how?

What in flares is water soluble?

Ta-Da!

Its not worth extracting strontium nitrate from flares unless you know for sure what is in their. If there is another highly water soluble compound in their it will be hell to extract the strontium...

Well orions MSDS say its only got strontium nitrate, KClO4, sulfur, and sawdust/oil binder in them.

I tried it. Its contaminated with sulfur and shit. I didnt filter it enough, because i didnt try hard. I did get a few grams, and tried it with some aluminum. couldnt get it to light.

Just get it from eBay or something.

I can buy it no problem but Im just looking for the experience and something to do. < With benifits.;)

• 5 months later...
I can buy it no problem but Im just looking for the experience and something to do. < With benifits.;)

If extracted it. Its not worth it (mainly b/c at the time I didn't know what to do with it).

Is it possible to extract Strontium Nitrate it from a reaction between Strontium Carbonate and Calsium Nitrate? Just wondering, it works with Calsium Nitrate and Kalsium Carbonate.

I've extracted the Strontium from a few road flares in my time.... Its a pain in the ass and the strontium isn't as pure I'm sure... But it will work and you can use it in stars. I have anyway and they made ok stars. This was how I got the strontium for my first colored stars...and they worked nicely!

I used old road flares I found under the seat of an abandoned dump truck on my grandpas farm...truck broke down years ago. So I suppose the newer flares may not work as well....dunno about that. But the ones I had were Strontium, sulfur, and sawdust. Well, as far as I could tell!

Just heat a pan of water to boiling temp and pour the contents of the flare in the pot. Stir it and watch it until your sure all the Sr has dissolved. When it has, run it through a coffee filter and get the sulfur and sawdust out. Now it should be just a clear liquid (maybe a bit off color). Just put it on the heat source and set it to a light boil and let it boil away!! When it gets near to have boiled away all the water.....set it in a shallow pan and let it dry itself out. Make sure you get the Sr stuck to the side of the pot! When its all dried out it will be all caky, so youll have to ball mill or caffee grind it.