APC Forum

Rocket spindle size

All10Fingers

I have one of those cheap plastic bases meant for use with 3/4 tubes for star guns or gerbs.

My plan is to stick a nail through it and fill the bottom with epoxy resin to create a cheapo rocket spindle. My question is, if I'm using 3/4 inch by 6 inch tubes, what size of nail should I use for the spindle. Or would there be more benefit to use 4 inch tubes? If so, what size spindle should I use for that? 

I've never seen a commercial rocket tool with a parallel shaft -they've al been tapered. BUT in a conversation with Ron Lancaster he said that he once used a gang drilling machine to drill the cores into rockets in sets of 20, yes 20 rocket bodies pressed in a jig then 20 drill bits descended to make the core! AND this was in a licenced factory.

SO; You invent your design, try it, and build a better one til it works as you want. 

Most importantly: What kind of rocket? On a BP motor with a 7 1/2" tube, the spindle goes up around 5 3/4" into the tube. The originator of nozzleless rockets used a wire coat hanger for a spindle, lol. I tried it- once. The spindle will be way easier to get out of a 4" motor than a 6 or 7 1/2" motor, but again- what kind of rocket? What kind of lift is needed? I've thought of using those coated aluminum knitting needles available in dollar stores for short rockets, but never tried them. Definitely need a taper on the spindle if you want to get it out. And wax the spindle. One experienced rocket maker used purchased taper pins for spindles. 

I plan on making bp rockets. The ability to make both with and without nozzles by simply adjusting the fuel would be nice. What about something like a golf tee? Their tapered. Or one of those center punch glass breakers. I got a broken end of a screwdriver laying around. 

What is a taper pin?