APC Forum

Pneumatic launch shells

Arthur

I remember, vaguely, some talk of a theme park using pneumatically lifted fireworks for their regular displays. Did this actually happen? What was the reasoning behind this? Is/was it successful and still in business use?

There is a call by UK anti fireworks people to force the use of air launched fireworks, BUT IMO a 16" shell weighs 40 pounds and the lift is three pounds, so the loss of BP fumes is nothing compared to the fumes from the shell effects!

Interesting question eagerly waiting to see more information about it.

Designing of compressed air and chember and its actual work for every shell could be more time consuming and costly??

Can same mortor be useful for another shell to fire immediately? How spolette and time fuse gets ignited from air lift??? Can mortor tube withstand high pressure?

We have to look for more difficulties to overcome, cost and time managment.

Still this is a good question I really need to know more info.

Disney World is exclusively pneumatic  launch shells. It’s like Bluetooth/wifi igniters. 

• 4 weeks later...

As Rich mentioned, Disney at least was using exclusively air launched shells for a period of time.  They may still be, but I haven't heard any recent news about it.  The launch is about like you would expect, using a reserve of compressed air.  The delay charge is a small computer chip that is initiated at launch and sets off the shell at some pre-determined delay.  I believe this was done for reliability reasons and to decrease the amount of smoke floating around at ground level and for purported pollution reduction reasons.

It can be done, but it's probably not the easiest thing to do without a Disney budget/staff.  

1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

The delay charge is a small computer chip that is initiated at launch and sets off the shell at some pre-determined delay.  I believe this was done for reliability reasons and to decrease the amount of smoke floating around at ground level and for purported pollution reduction reasons.

It can be done, but it's probably not the easiest thing to do without a Disney budget/staff.  

Ahhh  that makes more sense. Physics tells us when to pop it. Accelerometer sensor, etc. As Zumber mentioned tho, BIG shells and the air required would be an issue. I could see maybe 6 inchers. Helluva potato gun tho. And the “pollution” point. Seriously how toxic IS BP really? Black boogers at high levels :D

I'm thinking that the casual "display on a sports field" may find the hardware installation rather expensive.

" The delay charge is a small computer chip " -Mumbles. Therefore there is a piece of computer chip falling from each shell burst.