APC Forum

Need your thoughts

PhPyro69

Here is my first 3 inch ball shell using tiger tail and n1 glitter stars, pumped at 8mm. All BP burst charge without booster. Break is a little weak. Pasted with craft paper and finished with gummed tape. Fits 97% to the mortar tube. 

should i put booster to get stronger break?  

Can you post youtube link?

Unfortunatly video is not playing for me.

2 hours ago, PhPyro69 said:

Here is my first 3 inch ball shell using tiger tail and n1 glitter stars, pumped at 8mm. All BP burst charge without booster. Break is a little weak. Pasted with craft paper and finished with gummed tape. Fits 97% to the mortar tube. 

should i put booster to get stronger break?  

IMG_1825.mov

Video has no sound. Thats pretty good burst without booster for a 3".  Some people like it the way your video is and some like more booster. It just depends on preference. I personally like both. I like the slowness of the break which creates a more willow effect almost. 

4 minutes ago, Zumber said:

Can you post youtube link?

Unfortunatly video is not playing for me.

You have to use a good video played like media player classic that can play .mov files.

3 minutes ago, DecimusMaximus said:

Video has no sound. Thats pretty good burst without booster for a 3".  Some people like it the way your video is and some like more booster. It just depends on preference. I personally like both. I like the slowness of the break which creates a more willow effect almost. 

I had to mute the video because theres many people talking and you can barely hear the burst of the shell. 

i agree with the slowness of the burst for this specific effect. But for other stars, i think this wouldn't be enough. My question is if i added booster (probably hot whistle), would it give stronger break with the same confinement? My theory is that the burst would be much stronger that it will burst the shell before the stars ignite. More confinement is not an option because im already at 97% shell/mortar ratio. 

Just now, PhPyro69 said:

I had to mute the video because theres many people talking and you can barely hear the burst of the shell. 

i agree with the slowness of the burst for this specific effect. But for other stars, i think this wouldn't be enough. My question is if i added booster (probably hot whistle), would it give stronger break with the same confinement? My theory is that the burst would be much stronger that it will burst the shell before the stars ignite. More confinement is not an option because im already at 97% shell/mortar ratio. 

Burst charge is granulated bp 3fa i think. I will try mcrh with 1:5 ratio soon

I liked that effect, a mild burst with falling stars is a nice effect among the other more spherical bursts. To make a harder break and more spherical burst is a different design -each as valid as the other.

Sometimes the simple strength of the paper tape is important, try one extra turn of paper tape, if it will fit your tubes. In my opinion (and only that!) shells under 3" will likely need boosting, 3" and 4" shells should break with powder, and 5" and bigger shells will likely need the burst charge reducing with rice hulls/Rice Krispies  (yes breakfast cereal!) etc. 

24 minutes ago, Arthur said:

I liked that effect, a mild burst with falling stars is a nice effect among the other more spherical bursts. To make a harder break and more spherical burst is a different design -each as valid as the other.

Sometimes the simple strength of the paper tape is important, try one extra turn of paper tape, if it will fit your tubes. In my opinion (and only that!) shells under 3" will likely need boosting, 3" and 4" shells should break with powder, and 5" and bigger shells will likely need the burst charge reducing with rice hulls/Rice Krispies  (yes breakfast cereal!) etc. 

does this mean that if i use meal coated rice hull it will give stronger break because mcrh act as filler with less bp content?. I cannot wrap my shell anymore because it will be a tight fit to my mortar tube. Clearance is just perfect.  

also, ive read that for booster, 1gram per inch upto 4”. Is this correct or too much? I will be using hot whistle 76:23:1

MCRH contains less powder per volume than straight powder because the hulls prevent the powder packing well, but the channels in the packing of MCRH allow the flame front to propagate much faster than plain powder.

Remember that for a commercial shell cost is everything, for a competition shell performance is everything -this can lead to two vey different designs.

Sometimes if the result is beautiful then you say that beauty was expected!