APC Forum

Ethylene powder

Zumber

Hello all,

One of agent imports raw fireworks material from china and supplies it.

Here I have One Image of chlorine donor powder and I need its full chemical name so that I can study it further.

I am aware of hexachloroethane, but whats ethylene powder? Can anyone tells its full chemical name or formula.Screenshot_20240207-124805.thumb.png.3047d6f3a0f1db7232311b6613e78a58.png

Hexachloroethane is very toxic to skin thats why I need to aware more about ethylene powder.

Ethylene is a gas, so it’s clearly not the chemical listed. As CHNO says it’s probably the plastic polyethylene in dry blend form. Which is without plasticisers. But there is no use for this in pyrotechnics I can think of. Can you post the link to the item to look at the description and further images? 

51 minutes ago, AustralianPyromaniac said:

Ethylene is a gas, so it’s clearly not the chemical listed. As CHNO says it’s probably the plastic polyethylene in dry blend form. Which is without plasticisers. But there is no use for this in pyrotechnics I can think of. Can you post the link to the item to look at the description and further images? 

Thank you fir response..!

I have no links and no any further info thats why I started topic here.

I will try to contact supplier and ask him more details or will demand him to get more updates from china.

They must have mixed up the correct chemical name as the bag only says color aids 🙃.

It looks a lot like parlon (chlorinated rubber) which is used as both chlorine donor and acetone soluble binder in one.

Likely it's a banned chemical given a false or misleading name to evade or escape regulatory notice. Most colour enhancers tend to be chlorinated compounds.

10 hours ago, greenlight said:

They must have mixed up the correct chemical name as the bag only says color aids 🙃.

It looks a lot like parlon (chlorinated rubber) which is used as both chlorine donor and acetone soluble binder in one.

No its not parlon.

He is having another bag of parlon.

I was suspected about hexachloroethane or HCB.

Both are toxic.

I have not tried it but if it is polyethylene powder my guess it can be added a smaller amounts as a secondary fuel, coolant and flame expander. 

It might also be polyethylene wax that lowers friction during pressing and also can be used as a burn rate retardant. 

It cannot be hexachloroethane because HCE sublimes fast. Faster than naphthalene. So you just cannot store it in a bag like in the image.

The stuff may be chlorinated polyethylene but the chlorine content is low so it may also act like a fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorinated_polyethylene

Edited by a_bab

Thank you.