APC Forum

Timing my shells

All10Fingers

For shells, I use the same method every time. I use 2 pieces of fuse tucked into a paper straw  with a piece of toothpick jammed in with em to make it tight. I then add glue and prime in both ends. I glue this into the shell so it reaches the center. 

Sometimes it behaves like quick match and the shell goes off sooner than desired.  Whilst others made exactly the same with the same powders and materials go waaaaay  up in the air, only to fall back to Earth and go off closer to the ground than they should.

Others I try are just perfect popping right at the peak of their flight. Id rather them go too soon than too late because my dog will retrieve and bring me live shells that.

These are 1 1/4inch cans and the don't posses the means to make spolets in any labor  practical manor. At least none I'm aware of.  

If its helpful I have pictures and videos of everything I've ever made pyro related. Down to a burn test if every batch of stars, bp, rocket fuel, even rolling tubes. So if necessary I can give a thorough walkthrough of any step of my process.

I'm always aim for 2-3 second delay but I must be doing something wrong because even though I repeat the same process each time, my results are very inconsistent 

You should use time fuse not visco. Visco works as a single piece, maybe tightly wrapped in some plastic protection. The whole point of the time fuse is to be consistent, down to at least 0.2 seconds. What you do is against all logic with multiple strands, toothpicks and what not that result in erratic burning.

1 hour ago, All10Fingers said:

For shells, I use the same method every time. I use 2 pieces of fuse tucked into a paper straw  with a piece of toothpick jammed in with em to make it tight. I then add glue and prime in both ends. I glue this into the shell so it reaches the center. 

Sometimes it behaves like quick match and the shell goes off sooner than desired.  Whilst others made exactly the same with the same powders and materials go waaaaay  up in the air, only to fall back to Earth and go off closer to the ground than they should.

Others I try are just perfect popping right at the peak of their flight. Id rather them go too soon than too late because my dog will retrieve and bring me live shells that.

These are 1 1/4inch cans and the don't posses the means to make spolets in any labor  practical manor. At least none I'm aware of.  

If its helpful I have pictures and videos of everything I've ever made pyro related. Down to a burn test if every batch of stars, bp, rocket fuel, even rolling tubes. So if necessary I can give a thorough walkthrough of any step of my process.

I'm always aim for 2-3 second delay but I must be doing something wrong because even though I repeat the same process each time, my results are very inconsistent 

Only two possible ways you can time your shells is to use either spolette or bickford time fuse.

All other methods seems to be high failure chances.

Edited by Zumber

I use visco quite effectively. Cut a paper strip and using glue wrap the desired length of fuse at least to twice it’s diameter. Glue in place in the shell, fillet glue around the entry point.

This is an older picture, I've since refined and improved it quite a bit. But this is the basic concept of what been using. 

I use two strand to ensure ignition and the toothpick prevents any fire blowing thru the tube rather than just glue by itself. The ones I use now are longer and have more fuse sticking out one  end.also the seems are reinforced with tiny strips of paper and watered down wood glue. And they work... Like 7 out of 10 times. Id like to solve this with something other than just throwing money at it. I'm certain there's a solution other than just buy stuff

IMG_20231008_090809341.thumb.jpg.83303c2b2a3844c63276956a19dc477e.jpg

It’s this simple, dude... that’s about a 3 second delay. Split one end with a razor and goop with BP/NC, slid the other into the shell and glue it on.

SAM_9138.JPG

SAM_9139.JPG

Edited by Richtee

1 hour ago, Richtee said:

It’s this simple, dude... that’s about a 3 second delay. Split one end with a razor and goop with BP/NC, slid the other into the shell and glue it on.

SAM_9138.JPG

SAM_9139.JPG

For half inch tube size Multishot we directly ram two visco fuse alongwith clay there is no chance of loose gap between clay and visco also it holds visco very tightly securing its position.

But this method is not recommended for big shells above two inch.

For shell above 2 inch we prefer spolette.

3 hours ago, Zumber said:

For half inch tube size Multishot we directly ram two visco fuse alongwith clay there is no chance of loose gap between clay and visco also it holds visco very tightly securing its position.

But this method is not recommended for big shells above two inch.

For shell above 2 inch we prefer spolette.

Biggest I ever built is 3” and had no problem there. I can see you’d need a more substantial fusing with big shells tho. They get “hit” alot harder at launch.