APC Forum

Need help with BARIUM NITRATE!!!

PillaDoubleG

The carbonate reaction would work! But probably slowly. Nothing is truly insoluble, the solubility is just too low for any general chemistry, I.e. if I asked you to dissolve 10g barium carbonate in water, the beaker would be 1000+ litres and so not viable. In the reaction quoted, the small amount of carbonate that is dissolved reacts with nitrate ions to form barium nitrate and ammonium carbonate. Ammonium carbonate decomposes at 58c, and leaves the solution as gas (assuming the reaction is boiling). This “locks” the nitrate in solution and drives the reaction forward. The solution must be kept boiling above the decomposition temperature of ammonium carbonate but below that of ammonium nitrate. It would likely take place slowly, as very few ions are available to react, so the first step is severely rate limiting. The exact rate is not calculable and would have to be determined experimentally. 

I’m glad to hear you’ll pursue the project further. I wish you the best of luck.

AP.

It takes time but it works. Slowly boiling would be best approach, if stirrer is not available add the carbonate as it is consumed to prevent creating thick layer at the bottom. It is done when ammonia stops evolving. Use excess of carbonate, the rest of it can be filtered out.

13 hours ago, TXpyro said:

Oh noooo. Why not?

Either illegal, or no one is selling it. Probably illegal...

11 hours ago, AustralianPyromaniac said:

The carbonate reaction would work! But probably slowly. Nothing is truly insoluble, the solubility is just too low for any general chemistry, I.e. if I asked you to dissolve 10g barium carbonate in water, the beaker would be 1000+ litres and so not viable. In the reaction quoted, the small amount of carbonate that is dissolved reacts with nitrate ions to form barium nitrate and ammonium carbonate. Ammonium carbonate decomposes at 58c, and leaves the solution as gas (assuming the reaction is boiling). This “locks” the nitrate in solution and drives the reaction forward. The solution must be kept boiling above the decomposition temperature of ammonium carbonate but below that of ammonium nitrate. It would likely take place slowly, as very few ions are available to react, so the first step is severely rate limiting. The exact rate is not calculable and would have to be determined experimentally. 

I’m glad to hear you’ll pursue the project further. I wish you the best of luck.

AP.

Huh... interesting approach. As you said, this entire process is sketchy and there is no way of doing it well, but you have managed to find like 10+ ways :lol:
I'll review my options again, and see what I could actually do. Thanks for all the help!

10 hours ago, Powderman said:

It takes time but it works. Slowly boiling would be best approach, if stirrer is not available add the carbonate as it is consumed to prevent creating thick layer at the bottom. It is done when ammonia stops evolving. Use excess of carbonate, the rest of it can be filtered out.

Maybe one of my better options, still will either go with the BaS or Ba(ClO3)2...