APC Forum

Rolling N1?

Sulphurstan

Finished rolled my N1 (pretty easy with PVB in fact, as redbull said), and tonight I just finished rolling the prime layer.

I rolled the usual silicon+green mix prime, but replaced dextrin by PVB...

Still in the drying box, at the very moment of writing these lines, so not yet tested in the stargun!

So 2 questions to the PVB experienced one's:

Does that BP/Si/PVB prime work for PVB bound stars?

Does PVB bound stars ignite easily?

Thank you in advance

On 1/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, redbullzuiper said:

but I can confirm that with PVB stars light very easily even without the original organic fuels.

Maybe have the answer to 2nd question...😉

Edited by Sulphurstan

Please post video once star dry out.

16 hours ago, Sulphurstan said:

Finished rolled my N1 (pretty easy with PVB in fact, as redbull said), and tonight I just finished rolling the prime layer.

Still in the drying box, at the very moment of writing these lines, so not yet tested in the stargun!

Thank you in advance

Yes, BP + Si will light even hard to light stars, so it will definitly work on PVB bound stars as they are easier to light. For me it has always worked.

16 hours ago, Sulphurstan said:

Thank you in advance

Silicon when burns produces molten slag this molten slag sticks over star and even at high speed wind ( hard broken shells) It lit star.

Depends upon star usually bp plus 5 to 10 percent silicon is recommended.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:06 AM, Zumber said:

Please post video once star dry out.

Zumber, I shot a star from stargun yesterday evening, made a video with mobile phone! It was so blurred, that I didn't upload the video 🤮.

But the star was nice, glittering as expected!

Will try again soon with a camera, not with phone....

On 2/23/2024 at 2:07 PM, redbullzuiper said:

Yes, BP + Si will light even hard to light stars, so it will definitly work on PVB bound stars as they are easier to light. For me it has always worked.

Confirm, star lit well even with a pretty heavy BP load in the stargun!

7 hours ago, Sulphurstan said:

Zumber, I shot a star from stargun yesterday evening, made a video with mobile phone! It was so blurred, that I didn't upload the video 🤮.

But the star was nice, glittering as expected!

Will try again soon with a camera, not with phone....

Okay sure..!

Tried again but with camera, and blurred again, so i give it up (the 📽️ bf, not the glitter😉). I'll try to find out how to make better videos, it is annoying not to have good records of your own work....

Don't give up! I would love to see those PVB N1 stars!   What camera are you using?

I have experimented a little with different binders for glitter, but not PVB so far. Water/dextrin has been the best for me so far... red gum and phenolic killed or at least changed the glitter effect quite a lot.