APC Forum

Blackmatch binder?

FieryCreations

Ned talks about Argo laundry starch in his series being amazing for blackmatch. But it looks like that company has long stopped making it and it's only available at crazy prices as a collectible. Is there a similar starch under a different name that works as well? 

How much does the quality of the BP effect black match? Is it pretty irrelevant using really fast vs slow bp for most applications? 

This topic is discussed several times.

Try searching in forum.

If you have gum arabic or dextrin or glutinous Rice starch you can use it as a binder.

Every binder has different characteristics.

18 minutes ago, Zumber said:

This topic is discussed several times.

Try searching in forum.

If you have gum arabic or dextrin or glutinous Rice starch you can use it as a binder.

Every binder has different characteristics.

I am aware that there are other binders such as gum arabic or dextrin. My question is if there is an alternative laundry starch besides Argo that works as well, since Ned seems to think that it's better for some applications than gum arabic or dextrin, and suggests you get it in addition to those in his 101 videos. 

Edited by FieryCreations

Argo Laundry Starch and Argo food grade corn starch (purchased in any U.S. grocery store) are the same thing but the Laundry Starch is precooked (and acid catalyzed) so it can be used with cold or boiling water; Argo food grade starch needs to be boiled first to activate the longer glucose chains and the binding properties we need for pyro.

BLUF:  Buy food grade corn starch from grocery store, follow Argo Laundry Starch 's Boiled Starch Prep instructions and use as shown by Ned.

I've used Tapioca Starch in much the same manner following the Argo Boiled Starch instructions with good results, but it was more expensive than just using typical grocery store corn starch, and not any better. 

Besides,  Argo corn starch comes in a beautiful yellow plastic container to store my fine grained B.P. leftovers in!  

81JCoO9eMpL.jpg

Edited by cmjlab

12 hours ago, cmjlab said:

Argo Laundry Starch and Argo food grade corn starch (purchased in any U.S. grocery store) are the same thing but the Laundry Starch is precooked (and acid catalyzed) so it can be used with cold or boiling water; Argo food grade starch needs to be boiled first to activate the longer glucose chains and the binding properties we need for pyro.

BLUF:  Buy food grade corn starch from grocery store, follow Argo Laundry Starch 's Boiled Starch Prep instructions and use as shown by Ned.

I've used Tapioca Starch in much the same manner following the Argo Boiled Starch instructions with good results, but it was more expensive than just using typical grocery store corn starch, and not any better. 

Besides,  Argo corn starch comes in a beautiful yellow plastic container to store my fine grained B.P. leftovers in!  

81JCoO9eMpL.jpg

Thank you!!!