APC Forum

My biggest firecracker yet!

PillaDoubleG

Thought I'd post here, since it wouldn't really fit in any other thread.

So, I recently acquired some potassium permanganate (at a very expensive price) and I obviously decided to make flash powder out of it, like any other sane human being :) I made the KMnO4/Al/S solution, about 15 grams. Here are the results:

(Sorry for the poor quality) Honestly, it wasn't that loud. But that's because I was in a field. Sound has no where to bounce off of. It still did leave a very nice hole!

DSC04361.thumb.JPG.eec37de7bada5c1583228b5a343fb1cc.JPG

I know people don't really mention firecrackers (or ground salutes) on this forum much, but I had to show off a little bit :lol:B)

Eeeesh, I didn't watch your video, but PLEASE stop using potassium permanganate for any pyro until you read more about it.  

For starter, not a very stable or safe compound to begin with.  WILL ignite if exposed to sulfuric acid.  Very friction (and probably impact) sensitive with a lot of organic materials.  A simple experiment being 50:50 sugar permanganate, and rub it with a stick - it will ignite.

Just a word of caution, up to you what you do with it my friend.

Edited by cmjlab
Fixed spelling !- sorry, I have a broken screen and fat fingers.

I am agree what cmjlab said.

Please stop using dangerous things.

Safety first...

I am aware about the danger that comes with this, sadly it is one of my only options when it comes to flash powder, since I can't get dark aluminum or magnesium. This is a one off thing though, I'm more invested in making fireworks.