APC Forum

Visco Fuse Powder Composition/formula

FireworkTutorials

Hello all, recently I finally completed my newest iteration of a working visco fuse machine. Previously I had been straight meal powder (Black powder) and had reasonable results, however the fuse did not burn the same way as commercial visco. If anyone has any suggestions or insights into the formulas and compositions used in commercial visco fuse, please let me know! Thank you!

If you search old posts there was a guy who made a Visco Fuse machine and tried all different kinds of fuse formulations for fast, medium, slow Visco Fuse.  I'll take a look later after work if you can't find those posts.

Try talking to Pyrogezer he has built several Visco machines.

14 hours ago, FireworkTutorials said:

Hello all, recently I finally completed my newest iteration of a working visco fuse machine. Previously I had been straight meal powder (Black powder) and had reasonable results, however the fuse did not burn the same way as commercial visco. If anyone has any suggestions or insights into the formulas and compositions used in commercial visco fuse, please let me know! Thank you!

Thanks all, I was also wondering how I should acquire NC lacquer as pingpong balls no longer are made from celluloid :(. I know there are guitar lacquers on amazon but I do not know if they are 100% NC lacquer.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:48 PM, FireworkTutorials said:

2 hours ago, FireworkTutorials said:

Thanks all, I was also wondering how I should acquire NC lacquer as pingpong balls no longer are made from celluloid :(. I know there are guitar lacquers on amazon but I do not know if they are 100% NC lacquer.

On 1/3/2024 at 1:22 PM, PyroGb said:

Try talking to Pyrogezer he has built several Visco machines.

Start out with the basics on the powder. 70% b/w 7F + 30% b/w meal D, sporting grade. If your machine is weaving a uniform and tight fuse, and coated with Pyro grade fuse lacquer you should get a burn rate of about 32 to 35 seconds per foot. Don't waste your time or money on guitar lacquer. It contains to many additives and flame retardants. It's only good for guitars and furniture not fireworks. Look in Firefoxes  site. They did carry some grades of Nitro lacquer. If worst comes to worst, pick up a can of single based nitrocellulose rifle powder. Dissolve it in a mix of 60% acetone, 30% Toluene and 10% N-butyl acetate, all readily available online. This very basic blend will slow down the drying a little bit to give you more working time and prevent the lacquer from soaking into the powder train. don't make the lacquer solution to thin.This can cause the lacquer to soak into the powder also and could stop the  burn. The lacquer will most likely come out black in color due to the graphite they add for lubrication on   the finished grains for flow characteristics in ammunition reloading equipment.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pyrogeezer said:

Start out with the basics on the powder. 70% b/w 7F + 30% b/w meal D, sporting grade. If your machine is weaving a uniform and tight fuse, and coated with Pyro grade fuse lacquer you should get a burn rate of about 32 to 35 seconds per foot. Don't waste your time or money on guitar lacquer. It contains to many additives and flame retardants. It's only good for guitars and furniture not fireworks. Look in Firefoxes  site. They did carry some grades of Nitro lacquer. If worst comes to worst, pick up a can of single based nitrocellulose rifle powder. Dissolve it in a mix of 60% acetone, 30% Toluene and 10% N-butyl acetate, all readily available online. This very basic blend will slow down the drying a little bit to give you more working time and prevent the lacquer from soaking into the powder train. don't make the lacquer solution to thin.This can cause the lacquer to soak into the powder also and could stop the  burn. The lacquer will most likely come out black in color due to the graphite they add for lubrication on   the finished grains for flow characteristics in ammunition reloading equipment.  

Thanks! Unfortunately I am wary after reading reviews and experiences others have had with firefox, although their prices do look tempting. Also, purchasing smokeless or any commercial explosive powder is a, something I do not want to get into, and b, quite expensive. I understand guitar lacquers have additives in them but are they definitely not going to work? I guess my only options are to buy some acetone and somehow find celluloid ping pong balls, which is what I used to use a while back, or to purchase potentially unusable guitar lacquers. 

I understand the Firefox situation. We have tried several different guitar and furniture NC based products over the years from different manufacturers and can say we didn’t have much success. I would recommend that you go online and do some searching for NC lacquer with the least amount of additives. They also contain rather low amounts of  nitrocellulose also with low levels of N in them. Also you may want to look for airplane fabric dope or nitrocellulose. They used to use it on the planes’ fabric that covered the fuselage and wings. That may be of higher quality. I cant say for sure, I have never used it.

FWIW - Firefox has anew manager who supposedly responds quicker and confirms orders.  The few recent posts about Firefox confirmed reasonable shipping (not fast), but typical for ORM-D shipments.  

Thats only from what I've read from others between here and FW.com, I've never ordered anything from them.