APC Forum

Videos not working, because of flash player

redbullzuiper

Which "videos" specifically?

I do know that some of the very old video file attachments may not play well, or at all, but short of converting them all and editing every place they occur there's not a lot that can be done with those. If it's newer videos though, please provide links to them here.

That video is mov format (quicktime) and not flv (flash video). Probably the forum software has some sort of flash plugin which converts mov for web viewing. In these days web videos should be mp4 or webm formatted. 

Edited by GoldenStars

This is the screenshot

Screenshot_20240105-205545.png

• 2 weeks later...

As I said, some of the very old video file attachments won't play well, or at all, but short of converting them all and editing every place they occur there's not a lot that can be done with those. This, along with one other video in that album, are examples. (They were uploaded almost 14 years ago, after all.)

That said, you can download them and find a player that will work with them. Hover in the lower right of the cover image and a menu should be available:

image.png

With code, anything can be done within a short time ;)

Retrieve all file uploads, and check if these are (they are stored inside the uploads folder) if the extension endswith .mov. Convert them to mp4 using FFmpeg.
In the database just update all the old filenames to the new filenames with a transactional query, so we can rollback incase anything goes wrong.

The option to download the file does not appear on my browser, the only way for me to watch them is to inspect the element and visit the file url so the browser will download it, for example: https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/uploads/1295945018/gallery_4620_41_5927452.mov

As I said, I can help with it if you want. It will be nice to restore and keep old video's for the future.

Asking the forum staff to go through every file uploaded by members and change the file format is a really BIG ask. The forum is a free resource.

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

Asking the forum staff to go through every file uploaded by members and change the file format is a really BIG ask. The forum is a free resource.

I have had minimal issues. And some success downloading the file.

And I deleted a comment I should not have made.

PS: going to the donation link...

Edited by Richtee
I don’t need a reason :D
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:34 AM, Arthur said:

Did you read what I wrote? I never said to do it manually, you just write some code, that does all the work for you.

I write such code within 15 minutes, and can fix this exact issue within 30 minutes of work. Code can do anything, its simple if u know what you do, thats all I am saying.

• Like 1