APC Forum

Ball Mill Safety?

FieryCreations

1 hour ago, Bbqjoe said:

IMO, I think ball milling simple, non reactive ingredients in your garage is just as safe as doing a deep fried turkey in there on Thanksgiving.

Some folks know exactly what they're doing, others listen to people who don't, and burn their house down.

If you feel a lack of information, don't ever put all your eggs in the same basket.

Damn good analogy. That's far more dangerous from what I understand that ratio of accidents to success to be. Currently milling KNO3 and charcoal/Sulphur separately just to be safe. From what I see it will never be as good as "intimately" milling together. But I figure it's a safe start.  

Hate to break it to you, but you did buy a harbor freight mill with stickers on it.  

It to me is a common misconception that a 3lb and a 6lb rock tumbler with 2 jars are all that different.  Lortone, the manufacturer of the legit, but way more expensive versions sells the same replacement motor for both.  I suspect whoever makes Chicago Electric, which is the harbor freight brand, does the same.  It can definitely spin 1 jar half full of lead, but it may require a hand assist start.  It tends to be the startup torque that fails.  

As far as media, I've always been most comfortable with lead.  There are plenty of people, including commercial firework manufacturers, that uses high alumina ceramic with no issues for BP and BP related compositions.  Some may recommend brass, stainless steel, etc. but I don't have any experience with those personally.  I'm still alive at least.

For milling metals it gets a little more complicated.  You need something harder than the metals you're milling.  Many recommend stainless steel, but I just don't like taking the risk of milling metals.  There's additional complications and steps to take to hopefully make it safer.