APC Forum

Spindle trouble

Mustapyro

When I press a rocket on my 1lb extreme spindle I always have this problem where my spindle becomes misaligned with my tube, it makes it to where I can't use my 2nd and 3rd rammer. Any thoughts on how I could fix this?

Maybe David F. will come along and respond, but I believe he came up with an idea of using a part of a spolette or 1/4" tube inside the first ramer to ensure a proper alignment with the first increments pressed.

I believe he may also have suggested (yeah he came up with a few creative ideas) using a skinny tool to move the first couple increments evenly around the spindle, to avoid the uneven build up and causing the problem you describe.

I like to spin the first rammer a couple times lightly on top of the loose increment before pressing, similar to above, to spread it out a bit more evenly before pressing.

Lastly, I read that Steve LaDuke suggests that when your pressed increment is lopsided, dumping the next increment or two on the opposite side of the buildup causing the misalignment, and pressing those to help realign the spindle to center. (This one probably would worsen your problem, unless you caught it in one of the first increments, due to the longer skinny spindle).

Are you sure it's not bent now?

Edited by cmjlab

It looks pretty straight, I even my fuel out by tapping it so that may be my problem. I think I figured out the problem though and it was that my press apron was not shimmed correctly, leading to a crooked pressing

I'm glad you figured it out.

Clarification on the first point above (tube in the 1st rammer) - it was primarily for guaranteeing a centered tube for tubes not cut quite square, but I would think might still help some.