APC Forum

Color Change of Whistle Comp

L0k1

Hey guys, I can finally post here so here goes. Been doing pyro for a couple years now and I'm nowhere close to where I want to be yet but regardless...

I recently began experimenting with whistle mix. WOW. Certainly makes the BP rockets look like kids toys. I've mostly been using 'cohete' tubes but some 1lb as well.

My question is, I made some Sali/Copper Oxychloride mix as well as KBenz/Copper Oxychloride which came out to a beautiful turquoise/aqua color *my favorite*.

After some pressing and opening/closing the container the Sali mix began to turn to a yellow-green color. It initially scared me, *not enough to not use my pressed rockets* because I was wondering if this is an oxidation reaction, which I'm pretty sure I don't want to have happening. It seems to be exposure to air. I live in FL so it's really humid here most time so I'm not sure if moisture out the air or oxidation. Either one sucks but just curious if anyone happened to know which it was?

Also, what do you guys do when running low on dowels? Just order more? Do you have another source? I've been doing fin assemblies on mine and they seem to work ok. Thanks in advance guys. Please don't crucify me if anything I said sounds off lol

L0k1 - No idea on the yellowing that you're seeing. Rocket sticks can be purchased, but I prefer to cut them myself from clear poplar boards on the table saw.

Yeah, they're kinda expensive though unless you get super bendy ones. I've created slip on fin assemblies that match cohete and 1lb. They have notches in the bottom to allow fuse to stick out without causing the rocket to tip. also the extended cylinder helps with the whistling. The wings in the linked design are angled to impart a spin on the rockets which really gives them a cool sound not to mention it seems to stabilize it more.

post-24253-0-83984600-1686760058_thumb.jpg

post-24253-0-69998500-1686760066_thumb.jpg

I have a couple actually. standby i'll link them. my cameraman sucks tho (me)

https://youtube.com/shorts/3z0GdfMGQZA?feature=share

really, the camera work was crap. same 2 rockets first clips done with gopro attached to my head and i still couldn't keep frame, and second from my pixel 6 pro and again not in frame. 1st time doing this particular mix. The fins didn't perform as well as i'd hoped but my main purpose in doing them was to eliminate the need 4 sticks/rods/dowels

these are both 5/8 cohete tooling was obtained from woodys

reports were about 15g 70/30 flash

each rocket held approx 30g fuel and 2g bulkhead mix (kitty litter) and were pressed to ~700psi on my gauge which I don't remember is how much on comp i just know thats where i marked on it lol

• Like 1

Always love a good whistle rocket video! Those things sure performed nicely. They seem a bit unpredictable as to direction, but predictable enough that they will go generally upwards! That's a success in my books!am they sure took off fast too!

yeah, a bit unpredictable to be sure but as you said, they end up going up. i'm still modding the designs as well. Experimenting with swept forward vs swept back. going to bring them a bit further out as well. I really like the idea of being able to just set it down and let it fly. if anyone wants the stl files to print I'd be happy to provide them. would be awesome to feel like i've contributed something especially this early in the game for me :D

That's a kind offer, you should just throw it out there, I'm someone would appreciate it even if they don't post regularly.

I have at times wished I had a 3d printer, but then other times I'm afraid of the rabbit holes it would lead down if I had one. I have enough hobbies as it is!

Look forward to seeing more of your pyro projects.