APC Forum

Hello how can I tell what to avoid for spontaneous combustion

LoveKnowledge

Hello, I was wondering if theres any "rules of thumb" or tips on how to tell what chems I should not be mixing to avoid instability, and spontaneous combustion when creating / testing comps , where I am there iss no Air effects allowed only ground so I plan on making garbs waterfalls etc . I understand that adding metals creates sensitivity to compression already, so only hand press any non bp comps I just need to know where to go from there, thank you for your time I appreciate any answers you can provide stay safe and blessed my friends.

Edited by LoveKnowledge

Read. And read some more. Avoid chlorates, static and friction. While avoiding those, read. And comprehend. There’s quite a few “wive’s tales” around, but best to err on the side of caution.

We can’t answer so general a question. If you have specifics- ask. But read first.

Read. And read some more. Avoid chlorates, static and friction. While avoiding those, read. And comprehend. There’s quite a few “wive’s tales” around, but best to err on the side of caution.

We can’t answer so general a question. If you have specifics- ask. But read first.

thank you very much for your reply, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, when something peaks my interest I have a brain like that I absorb knowledge. I mean more like sub mats example switching oxidizers in bp instead of pot nitrate pot perchlorate, or changing granular size like going from a -100 +200 to a -50 +100, or going from like titanium to magalium etc. If that still too generalized I apologize, just trying to safe as possible but want to experiment to make my own effects.

Edited by LoveKnowledge

• 1 month later...

You need to study chemical incompatibilities. Start with safer oxidizers first, like common potassium nitrate. Consider potassium perchlorate as oxidizer for experienced pyros. Potassium chlorate for even more advanced.

Consider compatible groups that can form potential incompatibilities with others, like

-BP charcoal sulfur based compositions and most organic fuels, binders
-Chlorate
-Ammonium salts
-Metals and metal containing compositions

Ammonium and chlorate should never coexist at one working bench, for example. These are safety important choices. If you start pursuing a star color system you must decide between perchlorate (KClO4, NH4ClO4) color system or a chlorate (KClO3, Ba(ClO3)2), but never mix both. And there are exceptions - KClO4 and KClO3 and coexist. Study their individual compatibilities. With the perchlorate system for example you can sleep well when mixing it with sulfur.

You also need to get familiar with behaviors in different composition states - like nitrate reaction with wet comp containing Al, MgAl, Mg.

Edited by 50AE