APC Forum

Poi Comps/Devices

Guest Mark_the_pyro

Guest Mark_the_pyro

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here. I have been doing glowsticking for a while, and I am starting to get into poi (fire spinning), and I just wanted to ask people and see what kind of pyrotechnic devices could be used for something like this. Here is a video to clarify this:

I think that just looks like one of the cylinders for a niagara falls piece, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am also asking this on behalf of many members of a rave site I am a member of, as all they use for this is standard fire, and it pretty much stops at that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I UTFSE'd already :D .

Thanks

That does look like some kind of waterfall lance. Or some other kind of slow-burning, unchoked, metal-heavy composition.

Methyl borate (methanol with boric acid dissolved) works well:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/4797643...46ff41e_o_d.jpg

I've also used Iron/Aluminium gerbs on my staff - Titanium is more impressive but the sparks burn very hot.

You can also use coloured alcohol flames with metal powders like sponge Titanium:

http://thecalderwoods.org/tom/DoIt04.htm

I've been into glowstringing for about half a year now. It's so awesome.

The main thing that is used for poi is a like a square sponge or cloth that is attached to a metal string or chain. The sponge or whatever is then soaked in kerosene and then sqeezed to get all the excess out. Light and start spining.

Another idea that i saw on the net was steel wool on a metal string type thing. light it with a 9v bat or a lighter. It's kind of short but makes a ton of sparks.

Here's a combo of both

just be careful not to catch you or your area on fire.

have fun.

ok... I guess pyros aren't noted to be glowsticking. I love it though.