APC Forum

making sulfur? (or any good places to buy it)

loopdee

Smaller gardening/hydroponics shops stock Pellets/Prills of very pure Sulfur for cheap. It grinds up very easily as someone above noted.

• 6 months later...

As a science student, I can say that it's not that easy to make sulfur if you don't have enough skills. You need to have the ingredients, instructions and the required equipment. But to be honest, I don't know where to get them because I've never tried to buy them, but I think that you can find something like it online or just buy sulfur. But if you want to try to make it yourself, and you will have everything needed, I can recommend one resource where you will read how to make sulfur, and I can say that it's good instruction. Or maybe after reading, you will decide that it's too complicated to try, but it's up to you.

Check out Dudadiesel.com. They sell very good quality sulfur in one, three, five, ten and fifty pound quantities

and they have very reasonable prices. I believe one pound is like $3.29. I also but my potassium nitrate from them as well. they sell it in one, five, ten and fifty pound quantities, and again, at $4.94 for one lb., they have very reasonable prices. One note however, their KNO3 comes in "prilled" form, which is small round beads. Some people like to get their KNO3 already finely ground, I don't have a problem with prills as I just run it through a blender I bought at a resale store for cheap. when I first started this hobby, I had a VERY limited budget, so I found a lot of ways to do things cheaply. For example, I built my own ball mill from scratch for under $20!

Edited by MadMat