APC Forum

Sensitive compositions?

BiSkittlis

Hopeless. Genius doesn't even know the composition of match heads. Know the difference between sesquisulfide and elemental? Are there already sulfur compounds in safety matches? Strike anywheres? Hapless.

This site has a low tolerance for extremely naive stupid ideas, and yours is just a repetition of stupid shit many other children have tried before. Maybe stick with sparkler bombs.

Fyi, I have tried it doday and it definitely does work, not quite as sensitive as with phosphorus and not nearly as loud but it works.

Edited by BiSkittlis

Instead of bringing down those who don't know some stuff, maybe we can teach them.

Matches already have sulfur in them, the main ingredient being potassium chlorate with some wax, glass powder, and other stuff. I've tried mixing regular matches with sulfur and it wasn't very sensitive.

I don't know if it's available in your country, but some gun stores sell prime-all for repriming percussion caps. Prime-all is a lot easier than matches or caps.

Thank you, I appreciate it, but at least with my matches and in my conditions it did actually end up working quite well, though I won't actually use it

Fyi, I have tried it doday and it definitely does work, not quite as sensitive as with phosphorus and not nearly as loud but it works.

Impressive, I'm sure. Just like I'm sure you have direct experience with phosphorus comp sensitivities and sound generation for comparison. "Could I just mix some match heads with sulfur...". Says enough. Congrats on your "success"!

Instead of bringing down those who don't know some stuff, maybe we can teach them.

Matches already have sulfur in them, the main ingredient being potassium chlorate with some wax, glass powder, and other stuff. I've tried mixing regular matches with sulfur and it wasn't very sensitive.

I don't know if it's available in your country, but some gun stores sell prime-all for repriming percussion caps. Prime-all is a lot easier than matches or caps.

Then feel free to hold hands and wipe bottoms.

If you want to summarize the contents of a wikipedia page on matches that dude could have just as easily read himself, then go right ahead and teach him.

Then feel free to hold hands and wipe bottoms.

If you want to summarize the contents of a wikipedia page on matches that dude could have just as easily read himself, then go right ahead and teach him.

And another thing is, I'd rather answer someone's question instead of just leaving them to experiment with something dangerous because nobody wanted to be nice.

And another thing is, I'd rather answer someone's question instead of just leaving them to experiment with something dangerous because nobody wanted to be nice.

That's admirable. However, he's doing crude and unproductive experimenting anyways, and not by following your guidance. As expected.

Impressive, I'm sure. Just like I'm sure you have direct experience with phosphorus comp sensitivities and sound generation for comparison. "Could I just mix some match heads with sulfur...". Says enough. Congrats on your "success"!

Okay buddy.

I will now stop arguing with you, since there's clearly nothing I could ever gain from this. You clearly see yourself as some pro, a king, a god of all pyrotechnics and chemistry, acting like there's nothing more you could ever learn and you are clearly not willing to help others who are less experienced, so why are you even on this forum? You haven't said one single helpful thing as of yet and the stuff you've been saying to me can't even be considered as constructive criticism anymore, but just straight up insults.

You clearly have some serious issues in your head you should probably go deal with and I really don't need people like you in my life right now, so I am now going to formally ask you to fuck off and stop interacting with me.

Bye.

Okay buddy.

I will now stop arguing with you, since there's clearly nothing I could ever gain from this. You clearly see yourself as some pro, a king, a god of all pyrotechnics and chemistry, acting like there's nothing more you could ever learn and you are clearly not willing to help others who are less experienced, so why are you even on this forum? You haven't said one single helpful thing as of yet and the stuff you've been saying to me can't even be considered as constructive criticism anymore, but just straight up insults.

You clearly have some serious issues in your head you should probably go deal with and I really don't need people like you in my life right now, so I am now going to formally ask you to fuck off and stop interacting with me.

Bye.

Ciao.

Happy to discuss if you ever find yourself interested in learning and sharing the artistry, chemistry, and design inherent to responsible and productive fireworking, not how to make crude devices from crude compositions that you have no sound knowledge of.

That said, if you continue posting about exceedingly naive and potentially dangerous exploits ("Im not going to blow my ass up by carefully making 1-2 grams of armstrong mix"; crude chems + negligible-to-zero experience = very bad starting point), you will be called out on your naivety, if for no other reason than another newbie doesn't decide your questionable approaches are worth replicating. Yeah, a gram or two of Armstrong's can remove digits and/or blind your ass. Easily.

There's Reddit and burn wards for your type of tinkering.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

and you could've said all those things earlier - calmly and without being a condescending asshole, like everyone else has managed except for you.

BiSkittlis, your question seems to have fallen into the "untouchables" category for many on this forum, simply because they're worried about protecting themselves in case any of your experiments were to go south. It's a part of the classic tradition to "flame the newbie" instead of just providing them with information and letting them make decisions for themselves. Anyhow, you say that you can't source KCLO3. One (expensive and inefficient) option would be to buy a case of matchbooks and dissolve the active compounds off of them in a solvent slurry, then attempt to filter/purify the chlorate from the resulting mixture. This would require a bit of chemistry, but since it seems like you'd only need a small amount, it could be a workable solution. It's also worth noting that the same could be done for the striker pads, yielding you some impure phosphorous. Antimony sulfide and manganese dioxide are also potential additives for the priming mix. Strike anywhere matches, including both KCLO3 and phosphorous sesquisulfide, have been used in pull-ring style smoke stick igniters with success. If you decide to use roll caps, it's worth experimenting with multiple brands, as some are thinner while others have more active composition per blister and might be more reliable. Anyways, good luck with you project and be safe! Don't forget PPE, using small quantities in a safe environment without other flammables around, etc.

BiSkittlis, your question seems to have fallen into the "untouchables" category for many on this forum, simply because they're worried about protecting themselves in case any of your experiments were to go south. It's a part of the classic tradition to "flame the newbie" instead of just providing them with information and letting them make decisions for themselves.

Guilty mostly. And honestly- I’d sure as HELL not try it with a printed flare gun. Hence, the cartoon. Both humorous- and a warning.

I still don't know where all of you got the idea that I'm a newbie... Sure, I'm new to making percussion caps, but as for general pyrotechics I have been making my own blackpowder, flashpowder, stars, shells, fountains, etc. for a couple of years now and this whole flare gun thing was just a thing I saw somewhere and thought "why not?". As I said before, if I got it working I would test it out plenty before I would ever hold it in my hand and even then it wouldn't be something I'd use regullary, but probably something I'd just fire a couple of times, showed some freinds and then forgot about.

That being said, this isn't just a random file I found god knows where, I have been designing it myself for weeks, with all safety considerations in mind.

Am I a newbie and an idiot for thinking "hmm, matches have chlorate in them and when you mix chlorate and sulfur it becomes sensitive, so could I mix match composition and sulfur and have it be sensitive?" and asking if anyone had tried this already, before trying it out myself?

Ok with all of that out of the way, today I've done some experimenting and found that making some 60%CuO/10%sulfur/30%MgAl flash powder and adding about 0.05g of that into the cap on top of the composition already in there makes it ignite almost every time and probably makes it powerful enough to ignite BP.

Since everyone is getting so pissed off at this whole thing, I am now most likely abandoning the topic and if anyone is intrested you can DM me and I'll send you the video once I get it working.

Thanks for all the help 👋

Edited by BiSkittlis

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a project where I would require a very shock sensitive explosive (something actually senitive, not something you just say is super sensitive to scare the newbies, like perchlorate flash). I don't need it to be very powerful at all, just sensitive. Is there such a composition, that doesn't include kclo3 (I don't have it and can't get it) or something fancy like dichromate?

I was also thinking of using armstrong mix from matches, however with the brand of matches I have it's next to impossible to get the red phosphorus, without also scratching off a metric shit ton of paper with it. Could I combine crushed match heads with sulphur instead of phosphorus to get something similar to armstrong?

you could do that but too get the red phosphorus off you can cut the strip off and soak it in a little bit of acetone and don't let the paper soak up too much but just enough so the glue holding the phosphorus on gets dissolved then scape it off you can do it with water too but it is hard because the paper can be come too soft