APC Forum

Drilling into comps

fight fire with fire

Hello chumps,

I want to start making some fountains and rockets and was wondering what comps would it be safe to drill a core in stead of making a pre-perforated choke. The main reason is I don't want to make a set of fountain tooling or by some 'cause I just wan't to make some small cheapo fountains. I know drilling into Ti isn't that clever inless you have a deathwish, but what about Fe?

By chumps

I think the general rule is that you shoudn't drill into ANY composition which contains a metal, even Fe. A way to get round this is ramming an inch or so of straight meal before introducing the metal. This will enable you to drill a core in relative safety.

Having said this, I've successfully drilled into fountains containing Ti and other metals with no issues. This was done by hand, nozzle aimed away from myself, with full head-to-toe PPE. The last thing you want is a drill bit riding a CATO right through your eye...

I definately wasn't going to drill it with a power drill, what about aluminium?

When I first started fountains were what I was able to work with. No tooling so I always drilled as well. I always had a blackpowder beginning just to make sure it was easy to ignite not thinking about the metals. Drilling done by hand was always safe. I used a power drill the very first time and cracked my plug. I would say even 1/2" of BP beginning will keep you safe as well as ensure ignition. Just remember incompatibilities with BP or you might want to do a KNSU mix.

Thanks for all the help chumps!

I'll probally just do a inch or so of basic charcoal fountain comp then the rest containing a metal of some sort, I will probally end up making some proper tooling... some day...some day.

Fountain tooling really isn't all too hard. Check out lady kate's site for a really simple and inexpensive version. Scale up and down as you wish.

I made a tutorial on some very small fountains, check my profile or the member tutorials section. Youdont even need topress/ram.