APC Forum

Colored maroon

Sulphurstan

Dear all.

I'm planning to try a new shell, which would just make a colored "pop!", like a maroon.

I was thinking of color-composition coated on rice hulls, like veline system (or pikho) and fill the shell with it then confine the shell pretty hard with pasting kraft paper, and then expecting a maroon-like pop, but colored.

I'm not looking for a loud boom, but for a short light output, without stars flying around.

Did anyone here already tried this out?

thanks for any help, any experience in this.

I wouldn't waste your time coating rice hulls, just use your comp as screened.

Am I understanding this right? You basically want the visual effect (perhaps colored) of a salute without the loud boom? If this is true, I would NOT go for hard confinement. In fact, you would want a very soft confinement with a fairly fast composition. Well that would be IMHO

Edited by MadMat

Thanks for your answers.

In fact the loud or not so loud boom is not really the point, the most important is a short, spherical, colored light output...

The comp has to be quick burning, veline is not really quick, pikho is IMHO even more slow, maybe jopetes colors?

My idea was to coat RH to make the fire spread quicker inside the shell, even with a slow burning compo... But that might be a wrong deduction??🤔🤔

Do you know which one of the 3 mentioned color system is the quickest burning one (as loose powder, or granulated)? Veline, pikho or jopetes ?

Hello Sulphurstan. If you want to increase the speed of combustion and the intensity of the brightness of my PDF color formulas you can increase the value of the magnalium by 30 or 40% and instead of acroids resin yo uses 50% acroidss resin and 50% phenolic resin.

I've seen some really nice "glitter at burst" effects from star comp made to about 0FA size just mixed with a burst comp. Chose your colour, chose your compound and then chose the burst powder to take care of chemical compatibilities. Cut or roll the stars to about 2mm cubes for a starter.

@JOPETES: thank-you for the "speed up" modification!

@ Arthur: that is a good idea, never thought about these "baby stars" mixed with the burst (although the previous hint by Carbon 796 of putting granulated composition only is close to this idea). I'll definitely try this out, with Jopetes speed enhanced compositions.

Thank you for these ideas!

Edited by Sulphurstan

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur. I've seen these ones before, but since i never make flash, I'll not try.

Furthermore, i do prefer the sounds of maroons, than the sounds of flash-salutes, they're kinda deeper pitched.