Perchlorate Chlorate Lead Electrolysis Electroplating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LardmanAttack

LardmanAttack

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Most things science related, mainly Chemistry and Biology, and Environmental Sciences most of all.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

For now i'll be simply making KClO3 from KCl as the process is very simple, but I would eventually like to make perchlorates, this is difficult to do and a platinum electrode won't even cut it, i've heard, although people say that it won't corrode too much if the Chlorate levels drop too far in the cell, but this would still heavily contaminate any Perc I make with chlorates, I'd like to get around this altogether by just using a lead dioxide electrode, the problem is that I don't have one and don't know where to easily get one, So I'd like to make one but don't even really know where to start, I know that you use a solution of a lead salt and pass current through that but how would I stop buildup of side products in solution and stop lead from plating out instead of Lead dioxide.

Edited by LardmanAttack, 10 April 2019 - 01:32 PM.

• LardmanAttack likes this

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

The history of solid fuel rocketry is full of KP that has been made electrolytically from using (in part) a platinum electrode. There is much research between you and a successful product but it is possible. Try to read ALL of "Swede"s blog. Try to read ALL of the huge thread "Making (per)chlorates"

www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1629-making-potassium-per-chlorate/page-1

Without studying all of that you will not be up to speed on past discussions and will annoy people asking for the info already contained in that monster post.

If you wish to progress to perc, you should start using sodium chloride, it's much easier on the electrodes.

Edited by Arthur, 14 April 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#3 LardmanAttack

LardmanAttack

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Most things science related, mainly Chemistry and Biology, and Environmental Sciences most of all.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:40 PM

The history of solid fuel rocketry is full of KP that has been made electrolytically from using (in part) a platinum electrode. There is much research between you and a successful product but it is possible. Try to read ALL of "Swede"s blog. Try to read ALL of the huge thread "Making (per)chlorates"

www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1629-making-potassium-per-chlorate/page-1

Without studying all of that you will not be up to speed on past discussions and will annoy people asking for the info already contained in that monster post.

If you wish to progress to perc, you should start using sodium chloride, it's much easier on the electrodes.

Yeah, checked on there, and nowhere on that thread has properly laid out instructions on how to plate

PbO2

Edited by LardmanAttack, 17 April 2019 - 06:40 PM.

#4 LardmanAttack

LardmanAttack

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Even if there is info in there, I'm not really gonna spend an hour reading it all.

#5 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

I'd be very impressed if you could make it through that thread in an hour. On the other hand, if you're not willing to put in the work and research on your own, especially if the information is there, you might find people will become a lot less willing to help you.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#6 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:56 AM

An electrolysis cell will cost you money, you need to do adequate research to justify the spend. This forum has lots of info and google can point you to patent documents and university research projects, but you have to put the time in to read all there is and understand it all. No one person here knows it all,  and no one will simply present you with a cookery recipe to make whatever you want. Once you understand the process, then you need to work out what materials are available in your locality that may be a good start for your project. Once you have a process design to suit your available raw materials then you need to work out what safety issues there are and what precautions and protection are needed.

Then you have to hope your theory translates well into practice. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Perchlorate, Chlorate, Lead, Electrolysis, Electroplating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users