• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 loganater

loganater

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:06 PM

Just had a good test firing of my homemade sugar rocket. I know I have a lot to learn and the exhaust, but just seeing what everyone thinks. Also does anyone have tips on making a homemade electrical ignition system along with rupture disks? I know a fuse ignition is usually frowned upon, but I don't currently have anything else to ignite the motor. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

Edited by loganater, 18 January 2019 - 09:07 PM.

#2 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

A few questions first:

Is this a model rocket?

Why a rupture disk on a sugar rocket motor? To save the rocket body? 

Fuse ignition is fine for pyro but not allowed on model rocketry. 

Use an e match from China to light them if you can do so legally, you are making rocket motors so you must?

Homemade? Christmas light igniters  can be found in this link. 

Use a momentary-on puch button switch and a 9V battery and 20m of wire to light them.  

Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

#3 JMan

JMan

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

Hey, quick reply here but Im on my phone and cant see the video. I use the christmas light igniters that dagabu gave a link for very easy and mildly reliable. As for rupture disks Ive done my own experimentation with sugar rocket sand they help tons on liftoff. I used laser cut plywood with some notches cut out at every 30 degrees so fuel could grab it and keep it in place (also was a very nice place to stick two small Christmas light wires through to attach two alagator clips. You can also cut a small circle out of aluminum cans but its hard to do electrical igniters this way cus well, no exposed wires.

I doubt you got a spare laser cutter around to make plywood nozzles/burst disks but you can easily make it on a bandsaw or table saw even.

Guess it wasnt such a short reply after all :P

Edited by JMan, 10 February 2019 - 11:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users