APC Forum

How is industrial flashpowder mixed?

klachner

hello,

does anyone know how the firework producing companies like Zink or Jorge etc mix their flash powder safely and good together? I think they mix very large amounts at the same time and i heard they use kclo4/al flashpowder because its pretty safe for commercial products, is that right?

From what I understand, some companys have a separate production area with one person who's full time job it is to daper mix batches of flash. I seem to recall one of our more experienced members discussing the mixing of 10lb batches then having it transfered to the assembly area. Often these seperate process areas are strategically located several hundred yards from eachother in tin roofed shacks in case of an accident.

I can't speak as to what formula they use but that would be dependant on the aplication, materials available at an affordable cost and the desired effect, of coarse safety would need to be paramount.

Edited by NeighborJ

From what I understand, some companys have a separate production area with one person who's full time job it is to daper mix batches of flash.

Wonder what their retirement plan is like? Heh. I thought my job was stressful LOL!

If it were me, I'd make all salutes with something cheaper than aluminum, whistle works good and it is arguably slightly safer than real flash. I certainly like it beter for burst in shells.

Since Zink is located in germany there are really strict restrictions in producing fireworks. They will not mix big batches, though its far to risky and even prohibited. As far as I know Jorge is producing in china. I don´t know if they have some poor people mixing 50 kg batches of flash there. But I don´t think the chinese people are that stupid mixing giant batches and risking the hole factory to explode at once.

I once talked to some guy who was in producing pyrotechnics professional. He told me that every bigger salut is either filled with unmixed KClO4/ Al, that mixes during transport etc. or with a binary mixture with some Al in the KClO4 and KClO4 in the Al. The advantage of this is, that both binary mixtures are non explosive, but they are more free floating than both chemicals on their own. The procedure is still the same. Saluts are loaded with the unmixed components and mixed after closing. And yes they mostly have seperated areas where they only do the flash stuff.

hello, does anyone know how the firework producing companies like Zink or Jorge etc mix their flash powder safely and good together? I think they mix very large amounts at the same time and i heard they use kclo4/al flashpowder because its pretty safe for commercial products, is that right?

They sieved in a stainless screen, 60 mesh.
exemple: 7 kg kclo4 /3kg Black Aluminium
First pass the kclo4 in a 60 mesh screen.
mix the kclo4 with Al, and with hands pass several times in 60 mesh screen.

I've read multiple times that the flash is screen mixed as well. I guess it doesn't matter what you are doing of it goes wrong. Diapering? Screening? Dead.

I've read multiple times that the flash is screen mixed as well. I guess it doesn't matter what you are doing of it goes wrong. Diapering? Screening? Dead.

What that you read multiple times it is correct, The batch is sieved by hands. Here all the factories work sieving several kg of flash powder in stainless screen by hand. The warning isn't use plastic bag to mix the flash, due static eletricit. Paper bag is the secure mode.
Detail: Almost all the factoryes uses the dead's composition: 7kg KCLO3 + 3KG Black Aluminium + 1 kg sulfur.
Antimony they don't uses more because of hight price, if don't, they would be using today.
The stainless screen is because of oxidation, not because of proof spark. Some use galvanized screen( cheaper)
Edited by kleberrios

Screening is the safest, most efficient way to make commercially useful quantities of flash. Especially for non-salute applications, it's hard to compete against. Diapering is inefficient and more limited in batch size. Vibratory mixers or other remote operations have a spotted track history and tend to be more violent. They still require manual emptying. Binary probably would work for salutes, but doesn't address its other uses.

NeighborJ, why do you feel whistle is safer?