APC Forum

Sticky sulfur

goro20

So i bought about a kilo of sulfur and its pretty good but its sticks and clumps to much. I think they added something to it. Does anyone know how to maybe remove this or lessen the stickiness to it? I tried to powder it with a fine sieve and it works pretty good but its still more like flour when you press on it it becomes a soft cube.

Sulfur flour can have clay added to it, it has to be washed of the clay and dried if so. Use as is if you wish, make sure its dry though.

Sulfur has always been kind of sticky or static for me. Your description is pretty spot on. Just the way it is. Grinding or mixing it with charcoal helps. Powdered sulfur on its own really doesn't have any uses. Mixing into compositions isn't really a problem.

Here's mine from Phil and as you can see it looks clumpy but it's primo stuff.

post-20116-0-17719800-1542587189_thumb.jpg

I bought a bunch of sulfur recently that came in lentil-shaped discs. Of course it stuck to everything when I milled it the first time. So I got out my can of Static Guard and gave a couple of shots before closing the jar for the next batch. Bam, done! Giddy from my success, I thought I'd try the same trick with some sodium benzoate, which is notoriously annoying to mill. Well, that didn't work...

There is an anti-cake that is very effective on sulfur but I forgot what it was. Ken Kosanke used to show this on his lectures where he had two vials containing sulfur with and without this additive. With the additive the sulfur became free flowing.

Was it diatomaceous earth?

Sulfur has always been kind of sticky or static for me.....

It's funny you should mention the static quality of sulfur. Many years ago, when research into static electricity was popular, sulfur was used for one of the earlier static generators. I remember seeing an old image of an experiment where a large ball of cast sulfur was mounted on an axle and spun with a piece of fur rubbing on it to produce static electricity.

There is an anti-cake that is very effective on sulfur but I forgot what it was. Ken Kosanke used to show this on his lectures where he had two vials containing sulfur with and without this additive. With the additive the sulfur became free flowing.

Was it diatomaceous earth?

Now I found the reference. He used 0.1 % conductive lampblack to get rid of the static cling between the sulfur particles to make it free flowing.