APC Forum

Star sizes

Merlin

I see what the charts say in regard to diameter of stars in specific shell diameter. I realize size would vary with the burning rate of the particular comp used. Nonetheless it seems the charts which are generic err a bit on the small size. I am thinking for metal fueled color comps 1/4 stars for a 3 shell and 3/8 for a 4. With fast burning charcoal comps such as TT or TW the size of the stars might be a bit larger say 7/16 for a 4.

Is my thinking correct?

Depends if you want a thick or a thin break. Personally i think they could be smaller. I just saw a 5" shell with 3/8" stars.

Here you go Merlin 5" shell 3/8" stares

Thanks Mile. I was thinking the burst spread would be smaller due to stars burning out too quickly and not being propelled far enough because they dont have the mass of larger stars.

Think of yourself standing say at a range of 75 yards and a guy shoots a 12 ga at you. Would you prefer# 9 shot or #4. I know neither! But I would choose #9 because they have limited range due to their mass. I suspect .# 4 would smart a bit. I guess in pyro like shot gunning it comes down to good pattern density vs range.

I read that spider stars /sfera uses 7/8" stars in a 4" cylinder. I suppose to cover the sky like spider legs.

I guess my thinking is that heaver stars will give a larger break radius in sacrifice of pattern density.

But maybe this was worked out long ago and the charts are correct. Personally I am willing to sacrifice little break density for a wide break up to a point.

Some of theses thoughts are intermixed. Ball shells and cylinder shells are two distinctly different devices. The same rules of thumb will not apply equally to each.

A 4" sfera is 7/8" pumped

But the 4"spiderweb is 1/2" to maybe 3/4" cut. One is stacked comets, one is bulk filled.

Thanks guys. I should have known charts wouldn't be published unless correct. Those 5" were quite impressive.