APC Forum

Making Mines

Tourbillon

It's weird what happens when you listen to the advice of the experienced, thank you guys for the help. I'm going to eventually grow the mines to 4". In the meantime a successful (functional) first build has definitely given me confidence moving forward, hopefully from mine to shells. Edited by Tourbillon

• 1 month later...

Got around to making more 1.75" mines. Made the "bags" from scratch this time.

post-20752-0-70808800-1503859084_thumb.jpg

7 grams BP lift

post-20752-0-84498200-1503859114_thumb.jpg

Stars rolled to Approx. 1/4" primed

post-20752-0-64523900-1503859139_thumb.jpg

This time I tried bedding the lift in rice hulls to deter the stars from migrating under it.

post-20752-0-86086300-1503859173_thumb.jpg

Finished product.

Edited by Tourbillon

Nice looking mines. Are you concerned about flaming fallout from the rice hulls? I've only made a few but I used a 2 ply piece of toilet paper which I split into 1 ply for a separator.

Post the video.

Jason

I usually make my 1.75" mines from toilet paper tubes using the perforated discs from Caleb I press the disc down over the lift and then a tiny piece of shoe box tissue over that to stop migration during handling. I usually use a bottom disc as well just for looks.

post-20116-0-42304900-1503865577_thumb.jpg

And here's my favorite mine pic ever. My son and granddaughter watching:

post-20116-0-46580800-1503865909_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice, Patrick! And your dog seems to like watching pyro too!

That is a very nice picture OldMarine.

I'm trying to keep construction simple so I can build them in bulk. I eventually would like to fire lines of these in volleys to make a ground up wall of stars (ergo no piston). When I get around to making BP Coated rice hulls I'm thinking if I coat the hulls lightly to increase the volume I can just fill the bottom of the mine completely with lift.

I like 10% of the mass of the stars/inserts as 4FA personally. Probably use about the same size you would in shells. Something ballpark 1/4" color, 3/8" streamer.

That is a very nice picture OldMarine.

I'm trying to keep construction simple so I can build them in bulk. I eventually would like to fire lines of these in volleys to make a ground up wall of stars (ergo no piston). When I get around to making BP Coated rice hulls I'm thinking if I coat the hulls lightly to increase the volume I can just fill the bottom of the mine completely with lift.

I do these assembly line style and after I have my QM prepped and lift weighed in Solo cups I can crank out 20 per hour. The TP tubes can also be used for cylinder shells and headings since they are loose enough in a mortar to allow paper and spiking. Though I'm building 3"-4" shells and cylinders now I still crank out the small ones because they take so little material to build and I have limited production capabilities for now.